Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 79 of 88 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Fall 2012

Quote Originally Posted by DPPSmoker View Post
    Wish I could find good bourbon when I clean out my car.
    Seriously. Go buy a lotto ticket wripvanwrinkle, you are on a hot streak.

~SW

Guru

I picked up a couple bottles of 2001 EWSB dirt friggin' cheap. The store is discontinuing it so they had it marked down to $9.99 No I didn't forget the one in front of the nine.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    I picked up a couple bottles of 2001 EWSB dirt friggin' cheap. The store is discontinuing it so they had it marked down to $9.99 No I didn't forget the one in front of the nine.
    Nice. I dream of scenes like that - 'visions of $10 OGD114 danced in my head.'
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Guru

You must be living right Brad.

Guru

The funny thing is, it wasn't even on the shelf. The lady that works there told me she had a ten dollar bourbon. At first I thought she was going to try and sell me some Ten High or something similar. I thought, I know you know I like bourbon but I like staying on the middle or upper-middle shelf. I was floored when she whipped out a bottle of EWSB. I said I'll take two, please

I guess she didn't put them on the shelf figuring they wouldn't move at that price point, figuring most folks would mistake price for quality. Said she's had then for a couple months, now. Or perhaps they were on the shelf for a long time and didn't move. It's kind of sad; the ignorance of the average consumer.

Guru

WT 101 (a mistake as it turns out), a bottle of Rare Breed and a Kentucky Spirit as a gift for a friend. That sorts me out with WT for a while but the 101 is a patch on its former self. Disappointing!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Advanced Taster

What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Fall 2012

I was at Roof Brothers in Paducah and picked up one of their private selection Elmer T. Lee bourbons, and a 2009 Thomas H Handy rye (129.0 proof).

Guru

Rye heavy today. I picked up a bottle of HW Rendezvous that had been specially bottled for a local pub. The Rendezvous had been aged for an additional 29 months in unidentified second fill bourbon barrels and then bottled at 100 proof rather than the usual 92 proof. Non chill filtered as is the case with other bottlings. I would guess this version is out there for others to use as a special bottling as I would doubt it is exclusive to the local pub here but this was the first I had heard of it.

Also picked up some bottles of Leopold Bros. Maryland Rye which the local distributor had kindly worked with me to bring into town. Once the BIB version is ready to go in a few years then hopefully I can encourage the distributor to bring that in as well. I've ben curious about this one for awhile so I look forward to giving it a try (and hope I am not disappointed given all the self created expectations I have managed to pile on it!).
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Rye heavy today. I picked up a bottle of HW Rendezvous that had been specially bottled for a local pub. The Rendezvous had been aged for an additional 29 months in unidentified second fill bourbon barrels and then bottled at 100 proof rather than the usual 92 proof. Non chill filtered as is the case with other bottlings. I would guess this version is out there for others to use as a special bottling as I would doubt it is exclusive to the local pub here but this was the first I had heard of it
    I'm picking up the same on the way home tonight. Should be interesting. I thought I recognized those shelves from your other post about the St. George 30th.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DaveOfAtl View Post
    I'm picking up the same on the way home tonight. Should be interesting. I thought I recognized those shelves from your other post about the St. George 30th.
    Yep, same place! I would be delighted if you happened to pick up a bottle of the St. George and then invite me over for a taste test!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum