Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 27 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Fall 2012

I stopped by the liquor store tonight and saw all of the BTAC except for Stagg. I asked an employee if they had any Van Winkle products and he said they were holding them for preferred customers. I understood - there is only so much of the good stuff to go around.

I went back and got a W.L. Weller, a Handy, a Saz 18 and a PHC blend 131.6. I placed them on the counter and told the store employee that I was going to get some beer as well. The employee then got on the phone and called the store owner and told him about my purchase. The owner allowed me to pick one bottle of his Van Winkle products from a case. I selected the PVW 15. I guess that means I just became a preferred customer.

Advanced Taster

Was in New York over the weekend (which was good fun). Anyway, a few different stops in Brooklyn netted me a Saz 18, 2011 bottling (first ever Saz 18 for me, for which I dearly overpaid), and a HW21 Rye. Back in Manhattan, I grabbed one of the last EC18s.

Overall a good haul, I think. Maxed out my duty-free allowance, as well as my credit card.

Got the 2nd last flight out of Newark on Sunday night.
    Last edited by Smithford; 10-30-2012 at 20:44. Reason: grammar
    trying to walk a straight line,
    on sour mash and cheap wine

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by DPPSmoker View Post
    I stopped by the liquor store tonight and saw all of the BTAC except for Stagg. I asked an employee if they had any Van Winkle products and he said they were holding them for preferred customers. I understood - there is only so much of the good stuff to go around.

I went back and got a W.L. Weller, a Handy, a Saz 18 and a PHC blend 131.6. I placed them on the counter and told the store employee that I was going to get some beer as well. The employee then got on the phone and called the store owner and told him about my purchase. The owner allowed me to pick one bottle of his Van Winkle products from a case. I selected the PVW 15. I guess that means I just became a preferred customer.
    Very nice! Kudos to that owner and employee! That's how it should be done.

Advanced Taster

Good for you. I just need to find the BTAC, all the stores I usually get my stuff from said they have only got the PVW products so far. Hoping they didn't get cut this year.

Enthusiast

2x PHC 2012 (133.2)
    2x 4RLESmB 2012
    1x WLW 2011

Guru

Stumbled across the BTEC 19yo and 23yo Giant French Oak Barrel "experiment" today. After some thought, particularly given the cost for a 375ml, I decided to just get one and go with the 19yo but pass on the 23yo. It is labeled as whiskey rather than Bourbon whiskey (as is the case with the Rice bourbon experiment for example) as was noted in the earlier thread about these.

Liked the 2012 FR LE SmB I got recently so I picked up another of those as well.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainQ View Post
    Very nice! Kudos to that owner and employee! That's how it should be done.
    I thought that was pretty cool too. I was happy to find the BTAC and the PHC. The PVW was icing on the cake. I couldn't buy any more anyway. I was tapped out after that purchase.

I will definitely do my best to take care of them like they took care of me. I'll have to take them some bbq next time I fire up my pit.

Virtuoso

As others have said great pickup and great owner.

That PHC from this year is a star in my book.

Best regards, Tony

Guru

Went looking for WLW yesterday, got frustrated, quoted Danny Glover, then just picked up a Dickel Barrel Select for the first time in Michigan. The same store had a bunch of Bowman Bros. small batch too. Going back for that later!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

I picked up an Elijah Craig 12yo selected by A&L Wine Castle of Ann Arbor MI.
    It's a good bottle, they had a sample left over from their pick and let me taste it, it was real thick, man oh man I would have bought the barrel at barrel proof.
    ovh