Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 32 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Fall 2012

Saz18, New release

Guru

Can't compete with the score of VWFRR! Would love to get more of those myself.

I decided to get a Weller 12 to serve as the "house" wheated bourbon (to go with ETL for the house rye bourbon). While out I picked up a 2012 OF Birthday Bourbon on a whim, having had a chance to try it (and the 2002 which was delightful) at the recent GBS gathering.

While looking at the Weller 12 I noticed the Weller Special Reserve at 9.99 and the OWA considerably higher at 25.99 (more than the Weller 12).

Was also tempted by a lovely bottle of Virginia Gentleman 1.75L in the always economical plastic jug for $22.99! I think that is the first time I recall seeing that one in the store.

Another interesting bottle was Armorik, which proved to be a "Breton Single Malt Whiskey" from France. It is possibly made from buckwheat from the few posts in the Foreign Whiskey forum that mention it although I didn't see much else about it. A brief mention on the Whisky Advocate noting its arrival last spring. The comments on the Whisky Advocate page and this site suggests that it is Eddu Silver that is from the buckwheat.

I like to try odd stuff so it was intriguing but for almost $50 I decided to pass.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Kyjd75 View Post
    Not a bourbon, but of interest to a lot of folks here, Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye. First time I have ever seen a bottle, had to purchase it. Will open and drink during the next season of "Justified."
    Here's a photo for further proof!

Image.jpg

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyjd75 View Post
    Here's a photo for further proof!

Image.jpg
    Show off!!! Only VW I would be interested in.

Guru

Show off indeed. I tried to snag some today, but struck out. Couple more chances later this week. If not, always next year.

Connoisseur

I see that VWFRR bottle is labeled C, which is a change from the B labeling that has been around the last 2 years. Anyone compared the two yet?

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    I see that VWFRR bottle is labeled C, which is a change from the B labeling that has been around the last 2 years. Anyone compared the two yet?
    I'm sure it's still the same whiskey that's been in the tank for the past several years. Van Winkle loves numbering bottles with numbers that aren't very useful.
    Jim

Connoisseur

My birthday is coming in a couple of weeks, so I bought myself a few little indulgences in advance of it: a 2012 Four Roses Single Barrel LE and 2012 Small Batch LE (previously mentioned in the "What did you pass up today?" thread).

Guru

Was going to post a couple of pictures but forgot to do so.

Virginia Gentleman.JPGArmorik.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Can't compete with the score of VWFRR! Would love to get more of those myself.

I decided to get a Weller 12 to serve as the "house" wheated bourbon (to go with ETL for the house rye bourbon). While out I picked up a 2012 OF Birthday Bourbon on a whim, having had a chance to try it (and the 2002 which was delightful) at the recent GBS gathering.

While looking at the Weller 12 I noticed the Weller Special Reserve at 9.99 and the OWA considerably higher at 25.99 (more than the Weller 12).

Was also tempted by a lovely bottle of Virginia Gentleman 1.75L in the always economical plastic jug for $22.99! I think that is the first time I recall seeing that one in the store.

Another interesting bottle was Armorik, which proved to be a "Breton Single Malt Whiskey" from France. It is possibly made from buckwheat from the few posts in the Foreign Whiskey forum that mention it although I didn't see much else about it. A brief mention on the Whisky Advocate noting its arrival last spring. The comments on the Whisky Advocate page and this site suggests that it is Eddu Silver that is from the buckwheat.

I like to try odd stuff so it was intriguing but for almost $50 I decided to pass.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Kalessin View Post
    My birthday is coming in a couple of weeks, so I bought myself a few little indulgences in advance of it: a 2012 Four Roses Single Barrel LE and 2012 Small Batch LE (previously mentioned in the "What did you pass up today?" thread).
    Kalessin, I'd love to hear a comparison of the two. Just got the Single Barrel and have wondered how they stack up.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton