Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 44 of 88 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Fall 2012

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainQ View Post
    It's been a good day today!

Attachment 14441
    Dave, some of the photos you nonchalantly post in these threads amaze me. You are like a whiskey bloodhound!

Virtuoso

long week=treating myself. Plus, I've been pretty good lately on holding off.

JPS 17yr
    Bourye x2
    FR 2012 LE small batch that has hit the headlines of recent

And a little non bourbon-2 bottles ofbeaujolais nouveau, it may not be the most complicated wine, but I have a soft spot for it. Nothing wrong with simpleness.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Enthusiast

Went and bought some beer and thought that I might as well grab a bottle of MM whilst at the store.

Connoisseur

It was a hell of a day for purchasing. After getting the bottles of HW 16yr delivered I went out to do a bit of hunting. Came home with a smile and some VWFRR, PHC 4th wheated and another 12' 4R LE SmB.

big shout out to a fellow SB'r for pointing me in the direction of the HW!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by Tico View Post
    It was a hell of a day for purchasing. After getting the bottles of HW 16yr delivered I went out to do a bit of hunting. Came home with a smile and some VWFRR, PHC 4th wheated and another 12' 4R LE SmB.

big shout out to a fellow SB'r for pointing me in the direction of the HW!
    Congrats on the wheated, did not think it was sitting on any store shelves anymore.

Best regards, Tony

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    1. If something bad happens, drink in an attempt to forget.
    2. If something good happens, drink in order to celebrate.
    3. And if nothing happens, drink, to make something happen.
    Charles Bukowski

Guru

Got a rather unexpected surprise today when I received an email from my (current) favorite whiskey supplier that a bottle of Jefferson's Ocean was being held for me. I had been the first to approach them inquiring about it and it seems that got me on the top of list. A good thing too I suppose since the allotment was exactly one bottle.

Despite some rather lackluster reviews I have seen (one of which was on this board recently I think that thought the whiskey wasn't all that remarkable for having taken a little trip) and the rather excessive cost (it didn't cost an arm AND a leg! But it did get most of that arm...) I decided to take the plunge. After all at least a little bit of it gets donated to OCEARCH right? Would be nice if they had left a bit more whiskey and a little less water in the bottle but not much I can do about that. No plan to "admire" this bottle, it will get cracked and tasted, probably at Thanksgiving.

I must say, for a swanky bottle the bottle itself is remarkable mundane. A plastic label is affixed to the surface, complete with an air bubble or two. The ring around the neck that says "special bottling" is crooked and the tag on the side with the UPC is partially torn. Looks like the whole bottle has spent some time at sea...

I suppose it is because it is such a limited bottling and perhaps they were trying to save some money on it since they are donating some part of the proceeds to the research organization. But the bottle itself screams "Blue light special! $12.98 on sale!". The Jefferson 18 bottle has raised lettering on the bottle. Even the modestly priced Jeff 10yo rye has printed lettering. Oh well, it's whats inside that counts, right?

While there I saw that the WhistlePig 111 had arrived. But given my purchase of the Jeff Ocean I couldn't pull the trigger for $115. The regular rye is nice but rather costly already and I was just not sure it is worth that much more for the slightly higher proof, slightly older whiskey and a whole lot of hype.

Speaking of hype I also saw that the products of a certain Kentucky bourbon bottler and marketing magician had just arrived. I tried to politic my way into a little piece of that pie but no such luck. They may not be my favorite whiskey supplier after all! They are still working through the lists and I can only hope they get down to little ol' me.

Jefferson Ocean.JPG
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Swore I wouldn't buy anything else for the rest of the year, but after finding out a week or two ago that I really like WT 101 more than I thought I did (and the convenient excuse that Thanksgiving is next week - which sort of beckons a Turkey, right?), I picked up a pint of WT 101. I figure if I don't buy a whole 750 mL, it doesn't count. At least that what I'm telling my wife :-)
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

Picked up a bottle of JPS17 and Bulleit rye at 30% off. They had EC12 at 50% off but had sold out. Myrtle Beach liquor stores struggle in winter. There are over 100 in the county.

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    Swore I wouldn't buy anything else for the rest of the year, but after finding out a week or two ago that I really like WT 101 more than I thought I did (and the convenient excuse that Thanksgiving is next week - which sort of beckons a Turkey, right?), I picked up a pint of WT 101. I figure if I don't buy a whole 750 mL, it doesn't count. At least that what I'm telling my wife :-)
    I told you so. I told you so.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Advanced Taster
    Picked up 2 1L bottles of Old Taylor (unfortunately 80 proof) with a 86259 UPC. These appear to be bottles from 1992. Wish these were 86 proof, but maybe they'll still be good.