Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 49 of 88 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Fall 2012

Quote Originally Posted by DPPSmoker View Post
    I will third that. Numerous comments have been posted on the forum stating that WLW has been difficult to find this year.
    I'll go along with the WLW, but I also love some ER17 (which I have found much harder to find this year) and Saz 18. Tough one indeed. The THH is something you will eventually run into on a shelf somewhere.

Guru

Rendezvous and grabbed another Four Roses LE SmB 2012.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Thanks to the help of a very generous member on the board, I was able to acquire a couple of bottles of Taylor Tornado Bourbon. One of the bottles is going to a fellow Aussie member, so in reality I purchased one

Taster

Ended up with a bottle of William Laurie Wller ( 61.7% ) and a bottle of Black Maple Hill...as a mere rookie in this game, I've never even heard of Black Maple Hill...however...two new bottles for my slowly growing collection are much appreciated.

Disciple

VWFRR, ORVW 10yr.107 and a BT 9yr. private barrel selection for good measure.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Enthusiast

Hey guys --- Quick question that doesn't really need it's own thread:

My local Total Wine had a good amount of ORVW 10/107 bottles last year for about $39.99 and a few Lot B's for (I believe) $49.99.

I know the Pappy line is even more prestigious(and near impossible to get) --- but my question is: Is the ORVW and Lot B's worth buying at that price? They never seem to pop up on the local Bev Mo and TW websites, so it's hard to compare prices.

I've never had the pleasure of trying anything from the Van Winkles, so I'm kinda in the dark. I view them as the 'next step' in my bourbon hobby, as the priciest I've had is KC 100 and Woodford Reserve (love the KC, not so wild about the WR). I've read here that VW's share some similarities with OWA, of which I'm a fan...

Anyway, I'm rambling... My real concern is seeing if those prices are legit, and if they're 'worth it' (I know, loaded question --- doomed to a bunch of "best to try for yourself" answers).

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by JPBoston View Post

My local Total Wine had a good amount of ORVW 10/107 bottles last year for about $39.99 and a few Lot B's for (I believe) $49.99.

I know the Pappy line is even more prestigious(and near impossible to get) --- but my question is: Is the ORVW and Lot B's worth buying at that price? They never seem to pop up on the local Bev Mo and TW websites, so it's hard to compare prices.

I've never had the pleasure of trying anything from the Van Winkles, so I'm kinda in the dark. I view them as the 'next step' in my bourbon hobby, as the priciest I've had is KC 100 and Woodford Reserve (love the KC, not so wild about the WR). I've read here that VW's share some similarities with OWA, of which I'm a fan...

Anyway, I'm rambling... My real concern is seeing if those prices are legit, and if they're 'worth it' (I know, loaded question --- doomed to a bunch of "best to try for yourself" answers).
    If you can still get at that price you should buy it. If you don't want them send them too me.
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

Connoisseur

What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Fall 2012

Those are fair prices.

Enthusiast

I especially like the ORVW 10/107 and at that price would buy all I either wanted or could afford (a case if possible). The price for the Lot B's is also fair enough that I would buy some as well. I would get there asap and buy up all that you can. Both are excellent pours, especially the 10/107.

Connoisseur

Nothing. Liquor stores are closed. Happy Thanksgiving!
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"