Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 55 of 88 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Fall 2012

Black Mapel Hill, Weller 12, Kentucky Spirit smooth dark top from 1-23-04

Turned down a 2011 Thomas H Handy for $100 though. Never found one in a regular liquor store around these parts.

2012-11-29_16-25-35_742.jpg

Enthusiast

Picked up a KC 1B today, drinking some right now.

Connoisseur

My wife bought me my first ORVW 10/107 for my bday today!!

I'm fighting off a cold at the moment, but I had to take one small sip from a snifter --- and wow, it lives up to the hype!! Very sweet with a very pleasant, blooming warmth (not alcohol type burn). The hard part will be to not waste any more while I have this cold so I can enjoy the more subtle flavors.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Thumbs up Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Fall 2012

Quote Originally Posted by JPBoston View Post
    My wife bought me my first ORVW 10/107 for my bday today!!

I'm fighting off a cold at the moment, but I had to take one small sip from a snifter --- and wow, it lives up to the hype!! Very sweet with a very pleasant, blooming warmth (not alcohol type burn). The hard part will be to not waste any more while I have this cold so I can enjoy the more subtle flavors.
    Nice call JPB, on the "blooming warmth (not alcohol type burn)". I think that "blooming warmth" aspect is one of the most missed upon descriptors of bourbon. I think we all fall prey to the idea that the "wamth" as you described it, is a foul "hotness", or "alcohol burn", or worse!...Not always...Rather, it many times is exactly as you describe..."blooming warmth"...And, part of a really good whiskey. Unfortunately oftentimes, they are seen as one-and-the-same. Nice job.

Now, I have to open one of those ORVW's!

JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

Got myself my first Evan Williams Single Barrel and another PHC2012. Got an email to save $5.00 on a bottle so figured I would try the EWSB.

Best regards, Tony1129bourbon1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Disciple

What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Fall 2012

Tony, I got that email too and I respect you for making the decision not to use the rebate on the PHC. You've got me thinking about doing the same thing, instead of sending in the receipt from the PHC I bought today.

:cheers:
    Jim

Advanced Taster

Picked up a Binny's hand picked High West Rendezvous Rye which is unique and fantastic. And picked up a bottle of PVW 20 yr
    "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy."
    -Frank Sinatra

Enthusiast

Went to Ledger's and picked up an 8 yr old wheated Willett bottled for Hog & Rocks in SF; a private selection, non-chill filtered Henry McKenna; They also got in a private FR1B OESK barrel strength bottling that I decided to hold off on and go back for later.

At another shop I picked up a new release OF BB; and a Weller 12 for good measure.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Nice call JPB, on the "blooming warmth (not alcohol type burn)". I think that "blooming warmth" aspect is one of the most missed upon descriptors of bourbon. I think we all fall prey to the idea that the "wamth" as you described it, is a foul "hotness", or "alcohol burn", or worse!...Not always...Rather, it many times is exactly as you describe..."blooming warmth"...And, part of a really good whiskey. Unfortunately oftentimes, they are seen as one-and-the-same. Nice job.

Now, I have to open one of those ORVW's!

Thanks!! I was hoping I described it close enough, the kids started jumping on me to wrestle with them, so I had to finish up my post more quickly then I planned. Cheers right back at ya!

I went out and supplemented the ORVW with two mid-shelf pours --- Old Fitz 100 and OGD 114, both firsts for me. My first, cold hampered, impressions are that Fitz is a solid value at only $12.99, though with a bit of an 'off' flavor (though not entirely unpleasant)... while OGD 114 was very, very nice with a spicy kick. The more subtle flavors are probably lost on me at the moment, but I needed something to enjoy with my DVR'd "Dexter" tonight.

Much thanks to this board again for all the suggestions, reviews and discussions --- You guys always seem to be spot on with everything I read, and answer all the questions I've (and others) have asked. Even the disagreements breed lots of information that always seems to 'fit' with what I taste when I try a new bottle.

Disciple

What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Fall 2012

Stopped by Four Roses on my way out of town an the Gift Shop had some additional Rutledge bottles. Picked up 4 12.5yr OBSO and 2 10.5yr OESK bottles!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!