Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Disciple

Re: New Buffalo Trace Experimental Bottles

Quote Originally Posted by B.B. Babington View Post
    Some folks don't mind paying too much to sample something new. It broadens perspectives. The real test: is it worth buying a second bottle?
    And therein is another problem. If it is worth buying a second bottle, can you?

Yes - all the Experimentals are in those abominations (aka half-bottles).

I do not mind paying a lot for a bottle if it is rare and delicious. As a scotch guy you can be guaranteed that I've blown up to $250 on a bottle. But it hurts. And when the value is dubious at best, as with the Experimentals (I bought TWO each of last years Experiments: the Rice and the Oat) and they weren't really worth it. Shame on me. I might be passing on these but I will say this for them: $60 for a 19 year old and a 23 year old? Try finding any full bottles at that age for less than $120. Good luck with that.

Disciple

I have 2 sets from 2009 and 2010 I think. I stopped after that as I tired of the chase and these are collectors bottles. I do have one open that is not bad. I'll probably let the others collect dust for the next decade or so. I'm sure they will provide a welcome distraction someday.

I have purchased no single oak either and have no intention of doing so.

I also hear that bourbon isn't as tasty when made in small barrels, so there's that as well............
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    I also hear that bourbon isn't as tasty when made in small barrels, so there's that as well............
    I'm not all that keen on defending overpriced bottles of variable quality, but Buffalo Trace decided not to release their small barrel experiments since they weren't up to BT's standards. The current BTECs were aged in extra large barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    And I'm pretty sure it's $60 for a "half" bottle
    Guess I got a hell of a deal then... I bought both from the PA wine and spirit website for $45.99 plus shipping...the wording on the website made it seem like it was sold as a "set" and now when I read BT's press release they clearly are sold individually