Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bottled In Bond

Bottled In Bond

I bought a few BIBís amongst other things while I was at the KBF last week. I finally had some time to add my recent purchases to my cabinet. I did some rearranging and cleaning, and while doing so, I decided to take an inventory of my BIBís. When I got them all separated, I found out that I had a few more than I thought I did. I had to smile a little. It brought back some memories from a number of years ago when I was fairly new to the site. I remember in chat a few times when Mozilla talked to me a lot about BIBís. At the time, I gave BIBís mostly just passing thoughts since I was more interested in other things. I received some samples and bottles from various sources, and bought a bottle or two here and there to start with. Now, over the years, Iíve become more and more interested in them. I can see where Jeff was giving me some good advice on the taste and value of BIBís back then. Next to wheaters, BIBís have become some of my favorite bourbons.

Weíve talked about a lot of things when it comes to BIBís. Thereís been talk of specific bottlings like Old Fitz BIB and JW Dant BIB, label changes like VOB BIB, BIBís no longer being produced such as AA BIB, and talk of old and new versions. Weíve discussed BIBís in chat, and this months BOTM is HH and EW BIB. So hereís a new thread just for BIBís. LetĎs have some fun. Please remember to be civil. Iíd hate to have to delete my own thread. Just kidding. Cheers! Joe

The pic below is my 100 proof heaven.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

Re: Bottled In Bond

I'm a big fan of VOB BIB. HH White Label BIB is also pretty good for less than $10.

Advanced Taster

I like the history of how BiB was developed and knowing that in general BiB whiskeys are very good values for the juice inside

Enthusiast

Old Fitz BIB is one of my all time favorites...and Jeff, while dusty hunting in Houston, pointed me in the right direction when it came to BIBs. I thank him and this board for opening my eyes and draining my wallet in search of present and past treasure.
    Jason
    "The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"

2010 Fantasy Football Champion

Guru

I picked up my first VOB BIB at the KBF, and hope to give that a try this week. I don't have that many BIB in my stash, but the scant few comparisons I've done leads me to wonder why!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

I like the BIB unfortunately I think they are going the way of the dinosaur. The new bourbon drinker just doesn't understand what BIB means or get the implication that "It's the good stuff". So I think the distilleries are moving away from BIB. There are so many bourbons out there that could be labeled as BIB that are not.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Disciple

I have not had much BIB because there isn't much available to me. I did just order (thanks largely to the current BOTM thread) a HH6 BIB and a VOB BIB. I've also had OGD BIB. Drank my first pour of the HH6 last night.

In general, I am pretty enamored with the concept of BIB whiskeys; I like knowing where the whiskey was distilled and where it was bottled. In the cases of both the bottles I just got, the BIB information combined with a 6 year age statement gives a lot of knowledge about this whiskey that isn't available on a lot of other bottlings.

I am a sucker for high proof and so that aspect works well for me. I think 100 proof is a great bottling proof for standard releases; it's low enough that there probably aren't many barrels whose proof ends up lower, and so it gives the distiller the maximum flexibility possible when it comes to barrel selection while still maintaining a high proof for the consumer (who of course can subsequently cut it to his desired drinking proof.) The value of HH6 BIB for $10 at 100 proof is just much greater for me than EWB at the same price.

Sadly I have to agree with Paul that these are going the way of the dinosaur. Even when the brand and proof point doesn't go away (Old Forester Sig, VOB) the BIB label does, relieving the distiller of the requirement of disclosing distillation and bottling locations. For Brown-Forman and Sazerac, this makes sense (from an operations perspective at least) considering that each is operating multiple DSPs; unfortunately it means less information will make its way to the consumer. The only distiller that seems to me to have any commitment to BIB is Heaven Hill. Sazerac is bottling the high-end Old Taylor releases as BIB while simultaneously removing the BIB label from their value brands. Here's hoping HH doesn't rethink things!

Connoisseur

Does anyone know if KC qualifies as a true BIB? It's 100 proof, all from same year (9 YO), and the same distillery. There is no DSP # on the label, though. Is that because KC isn't BIB or because their marketing people wanted to create a more elitist image with this small batch, "limited quantity" thing? (Is it possible that BIB drinkers are just not a cool demographic in the minds of 28-year-old marketers?)
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Trippah and Admin

The rule is same distilling season, not the same age. It is possible that it contains 9yo bourbon from multiple distilling seasons.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    The rule is same distilling season, not the same age. It is possible that it contains 9yo bourbon from multiple distilling seasons.
    I thought age stated (vs BIB) was a minimum age - so 9 yo could contain older bourbon. By definition, isn't a given BIB the same age?
    Mark