Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Hoosier Hello

Hybrid View

Novice

A Hoosier Hello

Hi, everybody!

I'm from Bloomington, IN, and just found this site over the weekend and got pretty excited! I don't know anyone who likes whiskey much other than mixing Jack and Coke, so hopefully I can offload some of my enthusiasm onto this forum so my wife doesn't have to hear any more nuggets of whiskey wisdom such as what "bottled in bond" means . I'm a grad student, so I don't get to grow my collection as fast as I would like, but luckily my favorites (Maker's Mark and Evan Williams) are fairly cheap. I'm excited to learn lots of new stuff and find new things to try!

Also, here's a picture of my oh-so-patriotic booze shelf:
    boozeshelf.jpg

Disciple

Re: A Hoosier Hello

Welcome! My best advise to those who like the cheaper things: don't climb the shelf too fast. There are plenty of good pours out there for <$30, and until you really dial into the features of what you like best, your money is not well utilized chasing a high price tag.

Guru

As a UK fan I'm inclined to tell you one thing, as a bourbon fan I'll simply say hello and welcome aboard! :P

Virtuoso

Howdy and welcome from Michigan.

Best regards, Tony

Guru

Another welcome from Michigan to you Graal, but from an Indiana Ex-pat (Northside of Indianapolis) this time. I have many fond memories of attending some good houseparties in Bloomington in the mid 1990s, and of getting a car towed from the Big Red Liquors parking lot.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Welcome aboard, Graal! The Indiana contingent at SB continues to grow! I hope you enjoy your time here, and I look forward to reading about your continued journey into Bourbonia. And, don't worry about that "wife thing". We can show you how to break her down, so she will hang on your every word as you explain the finer points of bourbon....Or, at least we'll be able to share secrects on how to sneak an inordinate number of bottles from your car into your double-secret bunker, right under her nose!!! Hopefully, you'll be more successful than most of us have been...

JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

Yes, Welcome Graal... The Central Indiana contingent continues to grow. Just goes to show the refinement we Hoosiers have for the finer things in life.

Hang around and keep an eye out for the next Indy Chapter get together. Should be having one soon !!!!
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Welcome aboard! and you're going to need a bigger shelf if you hang around here very long.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Advanced Taster

As a South Bend, IN native and Chicago resident welcome aboard. The Bourbon lovers from Indiana continue to grow.
    "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy."
    -Frank Sinatra

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    As a UK fan I'm inclined to tell you one thing, as a bourbon fan I'll simply say hello and welcome aboard! :P
    HOO...HOO...HOO...HOOSIERS!!! "The Movement" 2012 begins!

Sorry....just couldn't help it.

Welcome Gaal! Lifelong Hoosier here, born and raised a hop, skip, and a jump from you in Columbus, IN. Went to school in Terre Haute before settling in Noblesville with a job in Carmel.

Aside from Indiana University being there, I love Bloomington. It's a gorgeous city, and besides the traffic and parking situation that makes me want to rip my hair out, I really enjoy visiting. My wife graduated from IU and we were dating while I was at Rose-Hulman so I spent numerous weekends in Btown. Welcome aboard!

You've got a good, solid Indy Bourbon base around you so hit any of us up if you have any questions at all. There are a few other Indy guys that I'm sure will jump in and say hello.

Big Red Liquors has a great selection for your area. I've been very impressed with their offerings....especially the one off College.

Make sure to keep an eye on the http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ad.php?t=18501 thread. We'll be meeting at Tom's soon for another bourbon gathering. He's on the south side of Indy. Shouldn't take too long coming up 37 for ya if you can make it.

Looking forward to meeting you and enjoy your time on the site!
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."