Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Stoli vs. Grey Goose vs. Kryshtal Present

I have these in the freezer for use in the occasional Bloody Mary or Screwdriver. Tonight I took small amounts neat though, just to see if I can express a preference.

I thought Stolichnaya was the best. It was rounded, flowing and just right. The Goose was good too but a little sharper. The Kryshtal (from Belarus) was harsher than these two, more spirity, but then too half the price.

Going forward, I'd select either Stoli or the Goose for neat sampling, and reserve the other for cocktails/mixed drinks.

Opinions?

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 10-02-2012 at 18:56.

Virtuoso

Re: Stoli vs. Grey Goose vs. Kryshtal Present

I think Stoli has a really nice mouthfeel, especially straight from the freezer (or the back step when it's below 0°F). Grey Goose is very clean and crisp and I espcially like it on the rocks or with a splash of soda and fresh fruit. I can't speak to the other brand as I haven't tried it. I always thought Skyy made for a good mixer as it is pretty neutral, even by vodka standards.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Taster

I don't generally like vodka and I never drink it neat unless I'm around Russians or Ukrainians. Or ultra-Orthodox Jews, who drink a lot of it. But I always keep some Stoli on hand for cocktails like white russians and negroskis. Although quite decent, Grey Goose is expensive due to heavy marketing whereas I've found Stoli to have a consistently high quality level (for vodka) at a good price.

Stoli seems to stand out (so far) in these comments, but it is also my own experience.

I once read sugar is added, but true or not I don't know.

Gary

Guru

Crown Russe is my go-to.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Stoli seems to stand out (so far) in these comments, but it is also my own experience.

I once read sugar is added, but true or not I don't know.

Gary
    I drank a lot of Stoli in college and just after (late-90's - early '00s), mostly in martinis. It agreed with me and spared me the hangovers the well vodkas would impart. I also heard that they add sugar to it, and that certainly turned me off of it. I doubt I'll ever drink a vodka martini again (there's too much good gin out there); the only vodka I drink comes in brunch bloody marys out at a restaurant.

I went through a period of drinking Hangar 1 straight a few years ago. It's a delicious vodka made by California's St. George Spirits from wheat and viognier grapes. Grey Goose always struck me as more neutral than others, and always more expensive.

At $20 a fifth, Tito's is a great multi-use vodka as well.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Thanks Aaron. What about Ketel One? That seems a rich, well-balanced vodka even if the pot still thing is (may be) overstated.

Gary

Disciple

I prefer buying Everclear 190pr, and cutting it in half.(Poof, I'm a micro-distiller of vodka!) My Bloody Mary can't tell the difference.

In all seriousness, I only use vodka for Bloody Marys, so as long as it's cheap, it works.

Virtuoso

Chopin.

End thread.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Thanks Aaron. What about Ketel One? That seems a rich, well-balanced vodka even if the pot still thing is (may be) overstated.

Gary
    From memory, I think Ketel One brings good and bad to the table. It brings a round, textural sweetness, but also has a fume-y nail polish remover finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    Chopin.

End thread.
    Chopin's a nice potato vodka. A little pricey though. Teton Glacier has a bit more character, if I recall correctly, and it's a good $10-$15 cheaper.

But I'm about a decade removed from this stuff.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--