Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jefferson's

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Re: Jefferson\'s

That sounds like a plan!

Virtuoso

As of yesterday, it was not at Liquor Barn on Hurstbourne in L'ville.

Administrator in exile

I looked for this today at the Liquor Barn at Beaumont Centre in Lexington and there was none to be found. I am quite intrigued as I do enjoy Jefferson's Reserve, but like most here find it too pricy. I wonder how old this one is?

Administrator in exile

Bobby,

Where did you find it and what did you end up paying for it?

I don't know the age. I like this one a lot, however it is the same more or less price as Van =Winkle 12 year Special reserve so your mileage may vary. It doesn't taste to me like anything I have tasted of Heaven Hill which is reportedly were he gets his whiskey. I found mine at Liqyor World on Eastern Parkway in Lou. for 27.99 . There are about 8 bottles at Turnpike Liquors in Shepherdsville for a dollar more.

Virtuoso

Too bad we didn't hook up yesterday, Bobby, otherwise, I could have seen the fire, too. I needed to spend more time at the nursing facility getting my brother oriented with the place (he's sitting with Dad this week).

I am sipping some Jefferson's now. It doesn't impress me as much as it did the other day. Maybe my taste buds are off today.

Today, the nose is still nice and strong (for 88 proof). But, last time, the smooth taste has been replaced by a thin body and a somewhat hot finish.

At the $29 I paid for this, even when I had a good impression the other day, I don't think I would buy it again. However, at lower Liquor Barn prices, I might, if it were closer to $20.

BTW, the place where I paid $29 for Jefferson had ORVW 12 yo for $40, but Liquor Barn had the ORVW for $31. I am glad I waited.

I have only recently tried ORVW 12 yo, but it is fast becoming one of my favorites.

Virtuoso

After my previous post about Jefferson, I decided to pour Bulleit. (I am at my parents' in WV; I left L'ville this morning.) I have only one snifter here in WV, so I can't compare side by side. I have to compare one after another.

The noses are similiar, but Bulleit is more full bodied, sweeter, and not nearly as hot. In this simple and unorthodox test, Bulleit wins easily.

When I get back home to NC later this week, I will see about putting these two side by side to do a more appropriate evaluation.

Administrator in exile

Got a bottle last night and had a small sample. I tend to agree with other's findings here so far. Not bad overall, but a little hot on the nose and finish. I got it for $32 at Shoppers Village on Tates Creek. Haven't had any Jefferson's Reserve for a while, but if I recall correctly, this Jefferson's bares little resemblence to its older brother. Maybe a shootout is in order Nice packaging though. I like the wooden stopper better than the glass one of JR.

Connoisseur

Re: Jefferson\'s (search)

Bobby / Jeff:

Is there any of this 88 proof Jefferson's in B-town, E-town or Frankfort? Sure hope Toddy's has some next month. I did like the original, hopefully they didn't mess up a good thing.

Omar

Re: Jefferson\'s (search)

I like it a lot. It was at Kentucky Home Liquors in Btown last week. Toddy's didn't have it yet. Liquor Barn on Hurstbourne has it , Fern Valley does not. I have been told for a dollar or 2 more Van Winkle 12 beats it hands down. I don't know , I have a 12 but haven't got it open yet.