Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Hochstadter's "Slow and Low" Rock and Rye.

Welcome to the site! I'm not a fan of flavored whiskies so I probably won't be a customer but I sure do appreciate your openness with us. I hope you stick around and become a regular member of the site and lend your insights and opinions.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Virtuoso

Hochstadter's "Slow and Low" Rock and Rye.

Quote Originally Posted by joen View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome. I look forward to learning a lot from everyone!

We use a proprietary blend of aged straight rye whiskies from across the US and Canada, including some (but certainly not exclusive to) MGPI.
    Thanks for the post. Always glad to have someone knowledgeable representing a product Offer info. Let me ask you, is there any truth to the rumor that you guys bought up all the Alberta 10 year old rye? I noticed that Jefferson's is moving their rye source to Indiana and heard that whistle pig is having to negotiate with you guys for access to their source of rye.
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Guru

Oh that's a good rumor, let's start that.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Oh that's a good rumor, let's start that.
    Hoping to confirm or dispel it actually. Rumor has already been started beyond my control.
    T. Durden

Interesting rumor

Our founder, Robert Cooper, has been a serious rye whiskey enthusiast for a long time - far before rye came back into vogue. Several years ago, we did acquire a healthy stock of straight rye whiskies from multiple sources. Included in this acquisition was an amazing discovery of aged, perfectly matured straight rye. No hyperbole here - we tasted it with some of the most notable folks in the whiskey world, and they tell us it's the best straight rye they've ever had.

One inaccuracy in the rumor is the age of the whiskey. We are not using the same liquid as Whistlepig or Jefferson, but in fact an older and rarer stock. This Fall, we will be releasing a limited expression of this whiskey - a 13 year straight rye, truly robust and complex. I will share more info here as soon as I'm able. We're very excited to see how this community enjoys it!

Virtuoso

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought we could launch a reality show "rye wars"
    T. Durden

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by joen View Post
    This Fall, we will be releasing a limited expression of this whiskey - a 13 year straight rye, truly robust and complex. I will share more info here as soon as I'm able. We're very excited to see how this community enjoys it!
    I believe rye fans here are very interested in this release.

Guru

So this best rye ever is going to be turned into rock and rye, or released as straight whiskey?

Connoisseur

I found it super tastey. But I'd feel better if only crummy rye is dressed up with candy and stuff and keep the best tasting things for sippin on their own.

Great package too by the way.
    Last edited by brettckeen; 07-24-2013 at 15:25.
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Guru

I am sure Joen will clarify but it sounds like they have several different ryes at their disposal and that this special rye will likely be reserved for a bottling independent of the Rock and Rye. Or at least only a small part of it is used in the blend for the Rock and Rye.

I hope that when the special rye is released that some of it will find its way to Atlanta!

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    As a member of a group that routinely drinks straight whiskey at proofs well above 100 I kind of have to wonder a bit about those hardcore drinkers getting bombed on this (I am guessing maybe other things were also consumed given what I have heard about TOTC!) but I am willing to consider putting both that and the interesting marketing approach aside and consider the merit of this product based on the contents in the bottle.
    In the spirit of judging the merits of this product based on the contents in the bottle I was able to acquire one of my own today! I hope to crack it open and try it out this weekend.

Hochstadter's Rock and Rye.JPG
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum