Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Hochstadter's "Slow and Low" Rock and Rye.

The Hochstadter's Rock & Rye has shown up at a few of my regular stores in Massachusetts. While I'm definitely planning to add one to my shopping list, I think this will be a fall/winter sort of drink for me. Like others here, I would love to try the 98-proof version, it'd be lovely if it could be released as a limited edition special holiday season bottle (and I'd even pay a premium to try it).

Joen, thanks for joining us here. I really like the bottle and label design; I can't wait to taste the contents. The website and newsletter's hipster marketing imagery and purple-prose writing style is a bit too over-the-top for my taste, but if it produces the right sales numbers, then it's done what marketing should.
    Last edited by Kalessin; 07-24-2013 at 22:32.

Now a 13 yr old straight rye is something I could get behind and buy. Waiting to hear more details.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Virtuoso

Bought another bottle of the 98 today, have not seen the other one in Michigan yet.

Best regards, Tony

Guru

Opened the 84 proof R&R earlier this week and tried it again last night. I find it reasonably enjoyable in a Drambuie sort of way. Not the same base spirit or flavor of course but has the same moderately sweet and citrus/spice component and thicker oily mouth feel. In any case not bad for $17 a bottle for a casual drink when I want something other than straight whiskey but don't feel like making something. A generous pour over a cube fits the bill.

I would love to be able to try the higher original proof version.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

“It was indeed a 98 proof product that used a six year straight rye as its foundation. While it was warmly received, even this hardcore crew of drinkers were getting absolutely floored after a couple of drinks. We wanted to create a serious product for whiskey drinkers, but this had professionals rolling around on the sidewalks. In addition to turning well-meaning adults into threats to public decency, the extremely high proof also had consequences for the flavor profile.”

After reading this, I feel like heading to the cellar and dumping out all my inhumane 98+ proof whiskey--which, unfortunately, means drain pouring most of what’s down there. Cannot imagine what I was thinking in having trusted myself to add my own water, or in having been so easily duped by those clever outfits who did not admire or respect me enough to lower the proof before bottling. (Sorry if I’m laying it on a little thick. But . . . wow.)

Guru

Just looking out for us mate.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Thanks to the thoughtful assistance of a friend I received a 98pf version of the R&R. I look forward to doing a SBS to see if the proof makes any difference.

R&R 1.JPGR&R 2.jpegR&R 3.jpeg

The bottle is the same and only the label is different. I was pleased to see that the charming inner portion of the label was still similar! The first picture is of the later 84pf version and the model appears to have a bit more revealing and "provocative" pose than her appearance in the 98pf bottle.

I found a website that claims to have one of the competitors, Jacquin's R&R, available in 80 pf. Most sites seem to be 54 pf though. Can't imagine the Mr. Boston version is likely to be much of a comparison but if I can find the Jacquin 80 pf version I might get it for comparison.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Well I've definitely got find some of this now.

Enthusiast

I saw this for the first time today and grabbed it. It's the 84 proof. I have to say the bottle is one of the best looking on the shelf, the design is really well done and eye catching. The contents aren't bad either. I like my homemade rock and rye better, but this is a nice option to have around and the price is relatively low so it fills a nice niche.

Connoisseur

Bought a bottle at Spirits in Dallas yesterday thinking I was getting my wife a new bottle of rye to try. She is a Rittenhouse BIB kinda girl usually. Got it home and noticed the orange and honey on the label and thought "Ah crap." I have been gifted WT honey and EW honey in the past couple of years and it lasts ALL year. I like this bottling though. It doesn't have the medicinal quality I get from the honey products. More whiskey and less flavoring. I am going to enjoy some of this on the rocks tonight. I'm glad I didn't notice the orange & honey on the label at the store as I would not have bought it, but glad I did. Don't know if my recommendation counts though since I drink nothing but Tom Moore BIB in a plastic handle. Sometimes directly from the bottle (pouring spout removed of course).