Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Guru

Re: Hochstadter's "Slow and Low" Rock and Rye.

Yes, yes, I take the same precaution . . . one could swallow that spout.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Novice

The 98 proof must have been sent overseas. That is all we have in Alberta.
    Looked at it the yesterday because of the bottle and origins in PA,
    but reshelved it because I noticed the citrus addition.
    It carries a $40 price tag here.

Joe

Connoisseur

Our terrible PA state stores just moved it to close out status. Good idea guys, cut the product where the biggest cluster of rock and rye drinkers are.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    Our terrible PA state stores just moved it to close out status. Good idea guys, cut the product where the biggest cluster of rock and rye drinkers are.
    That is a shame. This has become a favorite quick cocktail over a single large cube this time of year especially, and while I think I prefer the 98 proof the 84 proof version, which is the only locally available option, isn't too bad either. Also made a nice and affordable gift for holiday party's.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

I picked up a bottle of the 84 proof after a friend gave it a positive comments. I really like the flavors but found it a bit too sweet when poured neat at room temperature, and an ice cube diluted it too much. The freezer remedied both problems! I would probably like the 98 proof better but this is a really good "quick cocktail" when I don't want to pull out the old fashioned accoutrements.

It's great to see a bottle like this actually taste good, and unfortunate that the rest of the "flavored whisky" labels make it a harder sell because everything else is swill.

Connoisseur

I've been conversing with one of the reps at Cooper Spirits and the reason for moving the Hochstadter's to close out in PA is to get the last of the 98 proof product out of the system. Unfortunately in PA, when you change a product, you have to close it out of the state stores and then re-introduce it. So this summer we should see the 84 proof version. I'm going to go snap up a bunch of the 98 while it's out there and I'll start grabbing the 84 when it starts to appear. I've got to say, the folks at Cooper Spirits have pretty darn good customer service!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Just started appearing on a few Aussie web sites earlier this month. $50 a bottle. Might try one in the interests of 'research'..... and 'cause I'm a sucker for a good flavored whiskey (no pun intended)

Novice

I've emptied a bottle or two of this in my time, but it's been a good while. After reading this thread I'm gonna pick some up on my next stop.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by camduncan View Post
    Just started appearing on a few Aussie web sites earlier this month. $50 a bottle. Might try one in the interests of 'research'..... and 'cause I'm a sucker for a good flavored whiskey (no pun intended)
    Yikes! I know Australian prices are considerably higher due to taxes, shipping perhaps and other things but that is quite the price difference. Can get it here for $20 or less last time I looked for it. It is quite enjoyable, especially at that price, but the cost of research is pretty steep!

Are you getting the same proof there? Started out at 98 proof and age stated 6yo rye which was pretty remarkable for the price but is now 84pf and not age stated.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

The 84 proof is available in WashDC @ $20-23. I'm sure I saw some in a VA ABC Store, too, last week, but it's not on the VA ABC Price List online. FWIW, I've used it in cocktails in lieu of whisky+simple syrup (Old Fashioneds, etc.) when having more than one outside when there's a chance the heat will help us doze off. We get a nice grassy/minty hint from the Hoch-rye that's missing in lower proof R&Rs (think syrupy Mr. Boston) and don't have to fuss with combining a lower proof R&R with the "right" amount of, say, Ritt to punch it up. Keeps us from falling off the chairs, too. Yeah, we've thought of seatbelts.