Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Connoisseur

Re: Hochstadter's "Slow and Low" Rock and Rye.

I recently grabbed a bottle of this and like it well enough. Of course now that I've read through this thread and discovered that is used to be 98 Proof, I'm wishing I'd found it sooner (though that version my have never been available in TX).
    I'm thinking about adding a bit of Rittenhouse 100 to what's left in the bottle and letting it mingle for a couple of days to kick it up a notch.
    "You Can't Buy Happiness, but you can buy Whiskey!"

Guru

There are still 98°, 6 y/o bottles out there. I see them from time to time! I almost always pick them up when I do.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kjbeggs View Post
    I recently grabbed a bottle of this and like it well enough. Of course now that I've read through this thread and discovered that is used to be 98 Proof, I'm wishing I'd found it sooner (though that version my have never been available in TX).
    I'm thinking about adding a bit of Rittenhouse 100 to what's left in the bottle and letting it mingle for a couple of days to kick it up a notch.
    That's a great idea. Please let us know how it turns out.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    There are still 98°, 6 y/o bottles out there. I see them from time to time! I almost always pick them up when I do.
    I'm just wondering if those ever made it to Texas. I'll definitely be on the lookout though.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by kjbeggs View Post
    I have done this, and it works fine. It's certainly better than mixing Ritt with Mr. Boston @ 54 proof (which I also tried). When my wife first read about R&R, she told me she'd be glad to taste any experiments I conducted. (IOW - I got a license to buy ryes.) We had no real success making our own (Demerara in Ritt, Demerara w/other flavors in Ritt, cane sugar in Ritt, etc.) even when she turned her prodigious cooking prowess to the task after I got frustrated with the results. But Ritt w/ Hoch's S&L was fine. For those who don't want to play around, however, Hoch's S&L is also fine by itself. Just don't expect the kick of a fine cocktail.

Guru

Ok you've convinced me time to pick up a bottle of Hochs. On a side note isn't great to have a wife like that?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    Ok you've convinced me time to pick up a bottle of Hochs. On a side note isn't great to have a wife like that?
    Yup. Thishere is our 40th married year together. That's, maybe, 32 of the best years I've ever had.

And that's HER joke, not mine. I count all 40 as great. A day here and there, though . . .

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Harry in WashDC View Post
    I have done this, and it works fine. It's certainly better than mixing Ritt with Mr. Boston @ 54 proof (which I also tried). When my wife first read about R&R, she told me she'd be glad to taste any experiments I conducted. (IOW - I got a license to buy ryes.) We had no real success making our own (Demerara in Ritt, Demerara w/other flavors in Ritt, cane sugar in Ritt, etc.) even when she turned her prodigious cooking prowess to the task after I got frustrated with the results. But Ritt w/ Hoch's S&L was fine. For those who don't want to play around, however, Hoch's S&L is also fine by itself. Just don't expect the kick of a fine cocktail.
    Harry, what kind of ratio did you find gave the best overall result?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Harry in WashDC View Post
    The Hoch rye used in this is presumed to be (at least by me although I don't know it for a fact) from the same Alberta Distillery source as Jefferson's, WP and it's own Lock, Stock and Barrel. I might have to try adding a splash of the LSB or Boss Hog to add proof rather than Ritt even though that is a lot more expensive of course. Although I usually drink this when I am feeling lazy and want something mellow. I have a last lonely bottle of the 98 pf but have been typically going to the 80 proof version and saving the 98 pf to do comparisons.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum