Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 10/12: Larceny

After a couple of suggestions from fellow members, and much debate on my part, I finally decided on a BOTM. I know it's been talked about a lot recently, but what the heck? Larceny is the BOTM for October.

My thoughts: I like it. Y'all know me and wheaters. There is a sweetness there, but not like other wheaters. IMHO, the sweetness is offset by the unmistakable citrus/alcohol flavor that HH bourbons are know for. The citrus flavor isn't overpowering, but you can tell its there. It's not a Weller or MM, which is just fine. It stands on its own as a good wheated bourbon. It's even better when you factor in the rebates that are being given. Irregardless of the rebates, I'm pretty sure I'll have at least one or two of these in my cabinet most of the time.

Cheers, and happy posting. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 10/12: Larceny

I picked up a bottle on a trip to Ft Collins a week ago. Hard to beat with the $10 rebate. A nice addition to my shelf. But I wonder about the name. Is Larceny something that will sell? Or is the name really that important?
    Craig

Enthusiast
    So far, with that generous rebate offer, it is selling very well in Kentucky. Stores in Elizabethtown and Bardstown are moving a lot of product. Now what happens when the rebate is over remains to be seen. Most who have tried it seem to like it, but whether it can make any inroads on MM's domination of this mkt remains to be seen.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cas View Post
    I picked up a bottle on a trip to Ft Collins a week ago. Hard to beat with the $10 rebate. A nice addition to my shelf. But I wonder about the name. Is Larceny something that will sell? Or is the name really that important?
    Craig
    Yeah, I like the story behind the name, but it sounds really gimmicky. However, there are a lot of products nowadays that have flashy names - Angel's Envy, Devil's Cut, Bourye, Tornado... Larceny rolls of the tough and it sounds good when you can say it with the movie-trailer-announcer-guy's voice.

Living in the Northeast, I haven't gotten a chance to buy a bottle of this, so I'm hoping family or friends down south will think of picking one up for me as a Christmas present this year

Connoisseur

There are no rebates in Texas, I guess because we are big wheater country. I like Larceny, especially at a price point of $21. However, it isn't as good as Weller 12 ($23) and is hard choice with Weller 107 ($26). I have gone back and forth, but I think I like it better than MM46 at $30.

Disciple

I feel there is a great deal of value here as well,even more so with the rebate figured into the mix.I will also state that I mirror Joe's earlier evaluation on profile,the HH mint/cedar note is prominent which makes it much different than all other wheaters on the market.I had to high of expectations upon Larcenys release and it will never take my Weller sweet spot away. I do see a repeat purchase somewhere in the future when the mood strikes me for something outside my usual profile.All in all I say well done Heaven Hill.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Advanced Taster

This is an easy drinker (I'm halfway through the bottle), but I'm still waiting to be impressed by it. The first sip is always nice, but it doesn't have enough depth to keep me interested in the rest of the glass. I think a few more proof points might help this one out. For a few dollars more (haha), I'll stick with Weller 12, which I absolutely love. I might save the rest of the bottle for guests or for when the wife decides to stop being pregnant.

-Steve

Enthusiast

Nice bottle, ok name, great price and a good tasting bourbon. Not the most complex as others have stated, but a nice pour when you don't want to think about your decision.

Gregg
    2012 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football Champion

Agree. I just got a bottle and its pretty good but seems kinda basic. Not very complex but it does go down easily and the taste is fine. Probably need to let it sit for awhile to see if it improves as some have said.

Disciple

I need to preface this by saying that I just received my bottle today, and I expect changes after it has been opened.

Lots of cinnamon and Red Hots, but lacking the creamy mouthfeel I expect from Wheaters. I don't mind a different flavor profile from OWA, but I expected something more interesting. Not a big fan of this.