Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 10/12: Larceny

I've finished about half of my first bottle of this and am somewhat on the fence. It's thinner than I would have hoped and lacks depth, as others have mentioned. But at $17.99 (even before the $10 rebate) it's a decent wheated bourbon.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    I've finished about half of my first bottle of this and am somewhat on the fence. It's thinner than I would have hoped and lacks depth, as others have mentioned. But at $17.99 (even before the $10 rebate) it's a decent wheated bourbon.
    I agree. Not bad, but not great. It is growing on me a little after a month's worth of air, but it will probably remain a "nice" midweek pour, a change of pace from OWA. Luckily for me, I don't pick up a lot of HH mint, which I do not like, but I do get some of the cherry syrup, which I kind of like. If it only had a little richer/thicker mouthfeel. Hard to argue with $20 after the rebate for a 1.75 though.

Enthusiast

Larceny is delicious. I was trying to finish off a bottle of RR10 and I can't seem to make that happen since I opened the Larceny. This definitely met my expectations.

Connoisseur

Since Larceny isn't available in Hawaii, can anyone do a head-to-head comparison with Rebel Reserve and/or MM (which are available here)?
    Last edited by MauiSon; 10-11-2012 at 00:31.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MauiSon View Post
    Since Larceny isn't available in Hawaii, can anyone do a head-to-head comparison with Rebel Reserve and/or MM (which are available here)?
    I have never had Rebel Reserve and don't plan on it...as far as a head-to-head with MM. MM has a nicer, thicker, mouthfeel compared to Larceny and is sweeter. Larceny is more complex, more woody. MM has a clean, slightly lemony, short finish, Larceny has a slightly longer finish that has more wood, and caramel, and a hint of cherry. That's my two cents..

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    I need to preface this by saying that I just received my bottle today, and I expect changes after it has been opened.

Lots of cinnamon and Red Hots, but lacking the creamy mouthfeel I expect from Wheaters. I don't mind a different flavor profile from OWA, but I expected something more interesting. Not a big fan of this.
    I think it changes a lot after being exposed to the air for a while. Mostly for the better. I expect that it will make its way to Michigan, but no signs of it on the lists yet. I think it could do well here.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Taster

I enjoyed the bottle i had, it will not be a regular but i will buy another at some point in time.

Connoisseur
    This is one that I looked forward to she it was announced several months back. IMHO, it did not disappoint. I made a similar response in another thread so I will keep this one a little short. There have been comparisons to OWA and the fact that there is a difference between the two. For me that is a good thing. I love OWA and I am starting to do the same with this one. They are bourbons to me that both hold up very well for their price points even after the rebate is gone. A quality pour for about $22 makes this one I will keep stocked right next my beloved OWA.

Connoisseur

I picked up a handle of this at TPS yesterday. With the $20 rebate, a 1.75L bottle for $20 is certainly attractive.

My first impression is its sweet, almost too sweet. And it lacks the depth of flavor of say, Weller Antique or the SB blend. Lets see what happens after it's been open for awhile.

I will probably buy another bottle, but will not be in a hurry to do so.
    Last edited by Phil T; 10-14-2012 at 08:25.
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Enthusiast

I did a head to head tasting and its on par with the OWA for me. Both bottles had only recently been opened so we'll see what a little air does. It usually make wheaters better in my opinion. I'm glad distilleries are continuing to put out new quality products at this price point.