Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaJeff View Post
    I did a head to head tasting and its on par with the OWA for me. Both bottles had only recently been opened so we'll see what a little air does. It usually make wheaters better in my opinion. I'm glad distilleries are continuing to put out new quality products at this price point.
    I am glad HH put this out as well, but it is not normal for the big distilleries to put out new products in this range with this quality. However in their defense, most have quality products in this range already. A new quality Wheater was a very welcome addition to the HH line up.

Advanced Taster

Re: BOTM 10/12: Larceny

Just tried it for the first time, and I must say I'm impressed. Two thumbs up! I was able to do a head-to-head with Makers Mark and the Larceny was clearly the winner...much richer, more complexity, even though the mouth feel was comparable. I also did a head to head with one of the standards that I judge everything against, EC12. The EC12 did have a better mouth feel, and even though these have obviously different target flavor profiles, I found them equally enjoyable.

When I get back home, I'll have to judge this against my favorite every day wheaters, Weller 12, and Makers 46. Will post results in a few days. These results were from a freshly opened bottle....if things improve over time (as is the case with most wheaters) I will REALLY be impressed.

Advanced Taster

I've only had a couple of pours out of this bottle and I'm not sure what to think. Its not bad, but it is definetly lacking in depth compared to more expensive bottles. I hope that it gets better with some time, but if it doesn't I can't see myself picking up another bottle.

Guru

Larceny seems to have finally wandered down to Georgia. Had not seen noticed it last week and then this week it seems everybody has it. With the $10 rebate it seems worth taking a flyer on it despite the somewhat mixed reviews so I picked up a bottle to try at some point. I also managed to somewhat unexpectedly acquire a bottle of the 2012 BTAC Weller so the Larceny may have to wait awhile! But on the rye side of the house getting the current Stagg seems less and less likely.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Taster

I picked up a bottle of this night and had my first taste. As always, I tried it neat. I'll try a few drops of water in the future.

The nose is nice - spicy, some wood and leather. When I tasted it my immediate impression was - where's the flavor? Then after a few seconds, the brown sugar and cinnamon started rolling in. Some caramel corn in there as well, but I found the cinnamon dominated it. There are some other spicy notes rolling around under there somewhere as well. Maybe nutmeg and clove? I didn't note any leatheriness, although there was oak for sure. I didn't Then a slow velvety exit. There is something emerging in the exit, but I can't put a finger on it. Some kind of vegetable? All in all, a nice bourbon experience all around. What stands out to me is the mouthfeel. It is velvety but you definitely knows its there.

I think it beats MM even at first taste. There is just a lot more going on. People are comparing it to Maker's 46, but I haven't tried M46 so I can't comment on that.

My first impression is that I still prefer Weller to Larceny. I have some Weller 12 open so I will probably do a side-by-side comparison once the Larceny has been open a few weeks.

It's been awhile since I had OFBIB, but Larceny is better than that.

So, Larceny is different from Weller, different from MM, better than OF, and costs around $21. I like what they have done.

Advanced Taster

Tried the Larceny versus my standard everyday wheaters, Weller 12 and Maker's 46. Tonight the Weller 12 won the contest by a hair, and I liked the Larceny and 46 equally. The Larceny has been open for less than a week, whereas the Weller 12 has been opened for 3 weeks, so perhaps not quite a fair comparison. I'm still very impressed with the Larceny overall!

Taster

I just picked up a bottle tonight. I like it. Better than MM as I recall, but I'll need to go side by side for the Weller's not sure there.

I've only tasted it at a free pouring so far so I haven't had time to spend with it, but my initial impression was that it had the wood tannins and cherry of a Knob Creek combined with the cinnamon of MM 46, without the depth or complexity of either. It definitely has a short finish with a thin mouthfeel, but has some bitter and drying flavors that make it more savory than many of the sweeter young bourbons.

I will be buying a bottle with the steep rebate offered.

Connoisseur

The bottle finally opened up to me and it's not a bad pour. I doubt I will buy another bottle again. Might be interesting to try this at barrel strength.
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
    I've only tasted it at a free pouring so far so I haven't had time to spend with it, but my initial impression was that it had the wood tannins and cherry of a Knob Creek combined with the cinnamon of MM 46, without the depth or complexity of either. It definitely has a short finish with a thin mouthfeel, but has some bitter and drying flavors that make it more savory than many of the sweeter young bourbons.

I will be buying a bottle with the steep rebate offered.
    Spot on observations BarryL. Not bad for a Novice . I just bought my second bottle on sale for $18.99. I only had a few tastes of my first as it gave up its spirit quickly at the KBF gazebo table. Its lower 92 proof means you have to work a little harder with it to get it, but I like it quite a bit and a bonus that we have another taste take on a wheater. I get some root beer notes too which I dig.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011