Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve 110 proof (NAS), and a Rare Breed surprise

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I also don't get the point of an NAS RR even at barrel stength. They already have Rare Breed (which is still good) so why do that unless rare breed is getting the ax?
    I'm guessing here but I think its because RB has an old man label and isn't attracting today's new bourbon drinkers, but its still selling to us old men, so its not getting axed. Just a guess

Connoisseur

I'm confused about something. I obviously missed the memo about ownership of WT. When did WT switch over to new management? I know Russell is still master distiller. Is the position of MD more ceremonial than functional?
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Disciple

Wild Turkey has been owned by Campari/SKYY since 2009. Before that, it was owned by Pernod Ricard. The "downfall" of Wild Turkey started before the most recent ownership change. It's worth noting that being owned by a huge spirits company is hardly anomalous among the Kentucky distillers.

Jimmy Russell is the master distiller; it's not a ceremonial position but he isn't the person who is ultimately responsible for these decisions that no one here likes. He's responsible for operating the still.
    Last edited by HighInTheMtns; 10-14-2012 at 08:23.
    Jim

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post

Jimmy Russell is the master distiller; it's not a ceremonial position but he isn't the person who is ultimately responsible for these decisions that no one here likes. He's responsible for operating the still.
    It's.a.shame really. If they took the Jim Rutledge approach they might do better. Seems like they are riding on the coat tails of the brand name.

Someone mentioned that WT101 is starting to go down hill. Can it be tracked to the recent label change?
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Disciple

It's the same situation with Jim Rutledge too. The buck doesn't stop with him at 4R; Kirin is definitely being a better steward of the brand than Campari is with Wild Turkey though.

WT101 has been going downhill for years; 8 years old, then "Old No. 8," and finally where we stand today. I'm still working on my last handle of the old label WT101 so I can't say first hand if anything has changed, but it's getting pretty empty so I will find out soon enough.

Here's hoping the new facility makes a difference and we start seeing the reversal of this trend in the next few years.
    Jim

Virtuoso

Someone mentioned that WT101 is starting to go down hill. Can it be tracked to the recent label change?
    So, I'm not just imagining that WT101 seems to be a bit "off" these days? I don't think my last couple of bottles of WTRB have been up to snuff, either.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    So, I'm not just imagining that WT101 seems to be a bit "off" these days? I don't think my last couple of bottles of WTRB have been up to snuff, either.
    I've had the same experience, plus, my last KS was young, thin and drank like it should cost $15. It's certainly my 'last' KS.

Trippah and Admin

WT won't admit it in public, but they have obviously come up short with their aged whiskey planning.

I've not had a recent Rare Breed, but everything else without an age statement tastes young and raw.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Disciple

RR10/90 is looking like a prime candidate for bunkering right now, and maybe I should start looking around in some low traffic stores for old label WT101 too.
    Jim

Connoisseur

C2Walker and I recently sampled some current export WT101 8 year and standard WT101. There was no comparison. The 8 year was exactly what you would want in a Wild Turkey. Lots of flavor and spice. I will never buy another current WT101 again. There is simply to many other older and better bourbons on the market for less money.