Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Wild Turkey Russel's Reserve 110 proof (NAS), and a Rare Breed surprise

I share the despair, and think you are probably dead correct.

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    My guess is the opposite: a replacement for the current WTRR... dropping the AS so they can use younger distillate. I think the WTRB will remain a NAS barrel-proof.

Admittedly, this is driven partly by my despair over what has happened to WT in recent years.

Guru

Anybody find that post?
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

On the issue of chill-filtration, even if they are continuing it, the higher proofs mean that they don't have to strip nearly as much out of it.

Regarding age statements, I'm firmly in the camp that a lost age statement is a loss even if the NAS juice is good. And I'm sure it will be good. Again, think about BH vs. OGD 114. But just think about what it could be....

The thing about Wild Turkey is, if you'd never tasted the early batches of Rare Breed, or pewter topped Kentucky Spirit, or the old 8 year old (heck, even the 101 rye), you might think they're doing pretty good. But if you have tasted those, well, you know that the current products are merely shadows on the wall of the cave.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Anybody find that post?
    Here's one. Reply #7 on this thread. According to Chuck Cowdery, their current entry proof is 57.5% versus 55% previously. There may have been other posts to that effect, too. (I think there were). I'll look more tomorrow if I have time.

Disciple

Can't find my source right now or could have been from a tour a few years back but seem to recall that it comes off the doubler at 130 and enters the barrel at 125 proof, currently.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Virtuoso

That would explain a lot...

by the way, could a kind mod fix the spelling of the thread subject (Russell with two ls)? Thanks.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    Can't find my source right now or could have been from a tour a few years back but seem to recall that it comes off the doubler at 130 and enters the barrel at 125 proof, currently.
    Instead of deleting my prior post I'll just say it is probably incorrect at least on barrel entry proof. The WT site states on distilling proof only that it is much lower than 160 but doesn't say what it is. On barrel entry it claims lower that 125 but doesn't say what, so I'd go with Chuck and 115 proof for barrel entry.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Connoisseur

I was talkiing with somebody who knows what they are talking about, I asked if he thought the new distillery would change the tastes of the product, he said he did not think it would as they basically ket the still in the same design just made them bigger. But I did ask him about if they came off the still lower than everybody else. All I got was a laugh.

Advanced Taster

Re: Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve 110 proof (NAS), and a Rare Breed surprise

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    Also speaking of Rare Breed, a trip over to the TTB online turned up this little nugget: a new Rare Breed label. No more batch numbers, it appears (which I think we all agree were meaningless once the WT-03Bs hit), but also higher proof at 111.1. I wonder if the higher proof is due to the inclusion of more older whiskey (yeah, right) or higher distillation proof or barrel entry proof (much more likely, I think). I wonder if and when this one will actually hit the market.
    My guess is marketing. They love having 1's in their proofs. 81, 101,...

Guru

Re: Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve 110 proof (NAS), and a Rare Breed surprise

Thanks for the links! Don't even remember that thread. What I meant (if you would have been able to read my mind) is I would be shocked if they took it up to 125 proof or somewhere in that region. One of their distinctives is a lower than normal barrel entry proof and even at 115, it's still lower than most. I think.

Whatever the entry proof is now, the last pour of WT 101 I had was awful. It's too bad what has happened to that brand. I don't think it's the Italians who are resposnible for that, I blame the French for not keeping up during their ownership.

I also don't get the point of an NAS RR even at barrel stength. They already have Rare Breed (which is still good) so why do that unless rare breed is getting the ax?
    Last edited by Josh; 10-12-2012 at 07:06.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog