Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Administrator in exile

Johnny Walker Black Label

Had my first sample of this a couple days ago at a bar in the Hilton where we were staying in Orlando. Can you believe there was not a single bourbon to be found at this bar , though when I asked, I was shown the full line of Jack Daniels that they carried

Overall I found this to be a nice drink. Smooth and oily with hints of green tea and anise. There was a slightly medicinal "camphory" taste that was unusual, though not alltogether unpleasant. I might pick up a bottle sometime and explore it further, or I might not Anyone want to share their experiences with JWB?

P.S. Better than Dickle

Enthusiast

Re: Johnny Walker Black Label

Anyone want to share their experiences with JWB?

P.S. Better than Dickle
    Jeff,

I am of the opposite opinion regarding Dickle/Walker. I do enjoy the George Dickle Number 12 quite a bit, and have never noticed the "vitamin" flavors, or other "off" flavors that many have observed and noted. To me, Dickle is THE Tennessee whisky. Regarding Johnnie Walker Black, I just do not enjoy blends any more. I prefer exploring the complexities that I find in the Single Malts, similiar to our discussing flavor profiles of our favorite Bourbons.

Bob

Connoisseur

Jeff--that medicinal/camphor-type taste is the grain whiskey component of blends. The main malt in JWB is Talisker, so if you want the awesome malt character without the graininess, try that.

Enthusiast

>...that medicinal/camphor-type taste is the grain whiskey component of blends.

Or perhaps the medicinal/camphor notes are from the peat smoke in
    the Talisker...

Tim

Administrator in exile

Or perhaps the medicinal/camphor notes are from the peat smoke in the Talisker...
    That is what I suspected. While I have not had much experience with Scotch, this is a subtle taste that seems to run common through all I have tried, even the single malts.

Connoisseur

Or perhaps the medicinal/camphor notes are from the peat smoke in the Talisker...
    That is what I suspected. While I have not had much experience with Scotch, this is a subtle taste that seems to run common through all I have tried, even the single malts.

I'm really surprised you agree with that! I figured your experienced palate would know the difference! Actually, there's a real simple test to see if you're tasting the grain vs. the peat smoke: try some Irish whiskey--preferably a bold one like Jameson 1780 and see if you taste it.

Administrator in exile

I'm really surprised you agree with that! I figured your experienced palate would know the difference!
    I claim absolutely no palate experience with scotch whatsoever. It tastes nothing like bourbon to me, so I can only go by what limited experience I do have. And seeing as I don't drink many neutral grain spirits, I can't make a judgment in that arena. Maybe we're just talking about different things. The taste I am refering to is something "mediciny" that I seem to taste in all of the scotch that I have sampled, which is not many. I have them all written down somewhere, but I know I have tried several blends as well as single malts.

Connoisseur

That's hard to say then...because "mediciny" could define anything from the antiseptic smell that vodkas have to the menthol-type taste from a pot-stilled malt. I just know that when I taste blends, there's a DEFINITE rough, medicinal character from the grain whiskey which is absent in single-malts. Again, if you want to determine whether it's the peat smoke, taste an Irish--with few exceptions (eg. Connemara), they're not peated. Also, most mainstream Irishes are blends, so you'll get that same grainy (what *I* call medicinal) taste.

Taster

... The main malt in JWB is Talisker ...
    I've read that it is Cardhu.

Connoisseur

I've read that it is Cardhu.
    I'm actually more inclined to believe it's Cardhu, especially after the whole relabeling/departure from "single malt" debacle that Cardhu had. Actually if you look here, you'll see Paul Pacult seems to believe Talisker is a major player. Also, check out this site which also lists Talisker.

I really don't know...I've seen different writeups.