Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Advanced Taster

Re: Johnny Walker Black Label

Dave, I love Talisker too! One great malt I'm probably going to start keeping on hand all the time, since every time I try it, I am impressed with just how ggod it is. And I have not even opened my bottle of Talisker 25, cask strength yet. Others I like are Springbank 21 (holding my stashed bottles awhile longer yet), Ledaig 15 (but not that Ledaig 1974 aka Ledaig 20), the one Rare Malts Brora I've had (1975, 20 YO, cask strength), Port Ellens (several really good ones, including a Scott's Selection 1976, 21 YO), Bowmores that are not FWPed, and Caol Ila (have the Caol Ila 12 YO open now, an 18 YO in reserve and an old Flora & Fauna 15 YO waiting for a special time). I also like Highland Park 18 (the 12 is good as well), Clynelish 14 (just something about this I like), and quite a few others. Of course, my taste may be very bad: I am apparently one of the few souls who liked the Old Fettercairn 10 (it tasted very 'nutty' to me) and I find the Isle of Jura offerings to be drinkable, especially the Superstition, which has some peat. Anyway, I would pay you the same compliment: you have good taste in whisk(e)y! Cheers, Ed

Advanced Taster

Sion, good to hear there is another person who likes the fireworks of going from a powerful Islay to an overproof bourbon and vice versa. I can certainly see why most folks would rather not, but the fighters analogy is right on. And I find it helps me pick out things in the tastes that I would otherwise never get. I'm miserable at tasting camphor, etc. in whisk(e)y, but comparing two head-to-head gives me the most pleasure unless I'm just with friends and we are BS'ing and drinking. Then it doesn't matter if it's just one brand of one type of whisk(e)y. It's all good! Cheers, Ed V.

Enthusiast

Ed,

I also enjoy sitting around with friends drinking whisky and chatting nonsense. It's always fun to pull out the big guns, from either region (Islay / Kentucky) just when people think it can't get any more intense. Old Grandad 114 vs. Caol Ila, GTS vs. Ardbeg Very Young. It *is* all good

Your spot on about the contrast too. After chewing on Tarmac and seaweed, its nice to have a stack of maple syrup drenched pancakes.