Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wistlepig rye!

Disciple

Wistlepig rye!

I got a bottle of Wistlepig today. Even though it technically comes from Canada, I still like it. The proof is just right and I like the age too. Would also like to see some of this at barrel strength!

Thomas

Guru

Re: Wistlepig rye!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    I got a bottle of Wistlepig today. Even though it technically comes from Canada, I still like it. The proof is just right and I like the age too. Would also like to see some of this at barrel strength!

Thomas
    I received a bottle for my birthday in October and only recently cracked it open. I really enjoyed it as well but found it quite different from the rest of the ryes on my bar.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Trippah and Admin

I'm expecting a bottle in a week or two and I'm looking forward to running it through is paces (and my liver).
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I received a bottle for my birthday in October and only recently cracked it open. I really enjoyed it as well but found it quite different from the rest of the ryes on my bar.
    I enjoyed a pour of this today, and you're right, it is totally different than any other rye I've ever had (due to the unique mashbill I assume). It is very complex, and I think it is very similar to a normal rye up until the finish. I like it a lot and am glad I bought a bottle, but don't know if I'd re-up for another $70.

Enthusiast

I love it also, even for the price I paid I would buy it again great stuff...
    Visit the search for glory in the bottle: http://imbibehour.blogspot.com/
    My video reviews http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...16DDF465CBC112

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Even though it technically comes from Canada, I still like it.
    As a Canadian, I find this hilarious. Any time Canadian whisky is so much as mentioned on SB, it gets slagged off. Here, we've got a rye that just about everybody who's tasted it has loved, and it's "technically" Canadian—that must scare the pants off of some folks.

Imagine what the world would say of American whiskey if it was judged solely on the taste of Old Crow and Jeremiah Weed. Yes, there is plenty of garbage produced in the name of "Canadian whisky," but there is also some seriously good stuff, like Whistlepig, Caribou Crossing, Forty Creek (e.g., Double Barrel Reserve, Confederation Oak Reserve), Alberta Premium (both the NAS and 25 year-old), Lot 40, and Wiser's (18 year-old and Red Letter).

It's just a shame to me that the only way people feel they can save face when enjoying a Canadian whisky is to precede the term with adjectives like "technically."
    "Good" may be subjective, but that doesn't mean it's arbitrary.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by dbk View Post
    As a Canadian, I find this hilarious. Any time Canadian whisky is so much as mentioned on SB, it gets slagged off. Here, we've got a rye that just about everybody who's tasted it has loved, and it's "technically" Canadian—that must scare the pants off of some folks.

Imagine what the world would say of American whiskey if it was judged solely on the taste of Old Crow and Jeremiah Weed. Yes, there is plenty of garbage produced in the name of "Canadian whisky," but there is also some seriously good stuff, like Whistlepig, Caribou Crossing, Forty Creek (e.g., Double Barrel Reserve, Confederation Oak Reserve), Alberta Premium (both the NAS and 25 year-old), Lot 40, and Wiser's (18 year-old and Red Letter).

It's just a shame to me that the only way people feel they can save face when enjoying a Canadian whisky is to precede the term with adjectives like "technically."
    Point well taken and this thread should probably be in the foreign whiskeys forum, but I think there are a few reasons for this with regard to both WhistlePig and other Canadians.

First, Pickerell is not exactly promoting the Canadian heritage of this whiskey. While he very clearly states that it's Canadian, Vermont is on the front of the label and Canada is on the back, and it's labeled as a "straight rye whiskey," a US term, as opposed to a "Canadian Whisky".

And unfortunately, we don't get any Alberta Premium in the states, and I don't think I've ever seen those Wisers either. It's only very recently that we've been seeing any quality Canadians come over here. Up until about a year ago, the Canadian shelves of even really good liquor stores in the US were dominated by Crown, Club, Mist and other bottom shelf booze, with only Forty Creek standing for quality (and I haven't seen the Confederation Oak yet either). Now we have a few more, but not many, and WhistlePig is usually in the American whiskey section (because most liquor store owners probably don't know that it's Canadian or fear it won't sell if they stick it on that shelf).

I would love to try some of the interesting stuff coming out of Canada right now, and hopefully we'll get a chance at it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    Point well taken and this thread should probably be in the foreign whiskeys forum, but I think there are a few reasons for this with regard to both WhistlePig and other Canadians.

First, Pickerell is not exactly promoting the Canadian heritage of this whiskey. While he very clearly states that it's Canadian, Vermont is on the front of the label and Canada is on the back, and it's labeled as a "straight rye whiskey," a US term, as opposed to a "Canadian Whisky".

And unfortunately, we don't get any Alberta Premium in the states, and I don't think I've ever seen those Wisers either. It's only very recently that we've been seeing any quality Canadians come over here. Up until about a year ago, the Canadian shelves of even really good liquor stores in the US were dominated by Crown, Club, Mist and other bottom shelf booze, with only Forty Creek standing for quality (and I haven't seen the Confederation Oak yet either). Now we have a few more, but not many, and WhistlePig is usually in the American whiskey section (because most liquor store owners probably don't know that it's Canadian or fear it won't sell if they stick it on that shelf).

I would love to try some of the interesting stuff coming out of Canada right now, and hopefully we'll get a chance at it.

Nice post, Sku. I see where dbk is coming from as well but, as you said, we've no doubt been jaded by the paucity of quality Canadian products on our shelves. I've been seriously interested in getting my hands on some Alberta Premium for several years but haven't managed to pull it off. Is the AP 25 still in production? I wonder if the WhistlePig and Alberta Premium share close similarities. Perhaps one of our Canadian friends can fill us in on that question if they've tried both. I think the WhistlePig Rye is terrific and heartily recommend it to all rye lovers.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    Pickerell is not exactly promoting the Canadian heritage of this whiskey. While he very clearly states that it's Canadian, Vermont is on the front of the label and Canada is on the back, and it's labeled as a "straight rye whiskey," a US term, as opposed to a "Canadian Whisky".
    True enough, but my quibble isn't with how Pickerell chooses to promote it—it's with the constant digs at Canadian whisky, even though the sample available to the critics is admittedly very narrow. I'm not trying to stir the pot, just pointing out something I've noticed as a recurring trend. In any case, I've also noticed that some folks such as yourself, Sku, are giving some Canadian whiskies (such as Forty Creek) a chance. It's appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I wonder if the WhistlePig and Alberta Premium share close similarities. Perhaps one of our Canadian friends can fill us in on that question if they've tried both. I think the WhistlePig Rye is terrific and heartily recommend it to all rye lovers.
    Good question. Here's what Gary Gillman has to say on that matter.
    "Good" may be subjective, but that doesn't mean it's arbitrary.

Virtuoso

The best Canadian whiskey I have ever had.....

The best 100%rye whiskey I have ever had....
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.