Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Apprentice

New member that's new to Bourbon.

I have been interested for awhile in branching out from only drinking craft beer. I was really introduced to bourbon by the way of barrel aged beers.

I didn't really know where to start as someone with basically zero experience with whiskey. I recently bought a bottle of Eagle Rare 10 year single barrel based on a few suggestions. I guess the idea was to start somewhere in the middle of the road to get familiar with a decent quality bourbon. Last week I bought a bottle of Woodford Reserve, based on another suggestion as a good one to try for someone that is new. I think at this point, I prefer the Woodford.

Virtuoso

Re: New member that's new to Bourbon.

Howdy and welcome from up in Michigan.

Glad to have you here.

Best regards, Tony

Connoisseur
    Welcome to the board and I love the screen name. I am a fan of the Ruination myself.

As you are completely new to bourbon or whiskey or that matter, bourbon is made with at least 51% corn, flavoring grain (wheat or rye) and malted barley (usually a very low %).

What you have tried are two rye bourbons. I see that you are in Ohio so will give a couple of recommendations for you to try that can be found here:

Rye:
    - Four roses single barrel (hard to find in Ohio but some stres do have it) usually runs around $33.
    - buffalo trace usually runs around $22

Wheat:
    Makers Mark - usually runs around $25.

These would be good intros for getting started. If you ever get to the Cincinnati or northern Kentucky area, do yourself a favor an stop in "The Party Source." Their selection is much larger than what you can find in Ohio, due to us living in a controlled state for liquor. If you Mae it there drop me a pm before you go and would be happy to give some additional recommendations. Hell, most likely would just meet you there as I go a lot more often than I would care to admit, especially to my wife.

Apprentice

Thanks for the good info and suggestions. There is a bourbon bar in downtown Dayton that I will have to check out. I know it won't be the best value as far as dollar per ounce is concerned, but should good way to try a few different things without having to purchase an entire bottle.

I've been down to Party Source many times, even had some beer tasting events down there with a popular beer rating website. Every time I've been there though, I've always just been interested in the beer selection and never bothered to look at anything else.

Connoisseur

Trying pours at a well stocked bar is a good way to decide if you like something. My simple rule is anything 86+ proof with an age statement is worth trying. Anything bottled in bond is interesting. If you like Woodford, try Old Forester Signature.

Guru

Besides a good bar, check for a store that has what I refer to as "Airplane Samples". The selection isn't as wide, but you can get a lot of pretty good stuff to try that way (and stuff that will be twice as expensive for the same shot in a bar). I've done that for things like Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Bookers, Knob Creek, etc. You might pay close to $10 for a shot of Bookers in a bar, but can pick up the 50 mL for half that or less.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Apprentice

The wife was at Party Source today and picked up a few of those "airline samples". She brought home a sample of Bookers, Blantons, and a three pack of Glenfiddich 12, 15, 18 (I know, not bourbon, but I'm happy to try them)

Connoisseur

Those higher end little bottles are not so easy to find. Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Ruination View Post
    The wife was at Party Source today and picked up a few of those "airline samples". She brought home a sample of Bookers, Blantons, and a three pack of Glenfiddich 12, 15, 18 (I know, not bourbon, but I'm happy to try them)

Welcome aboard! You're headed down a slippery slope I remember when I had 2 bottles in my cabinet now my cabinet is full and I have boxes on the floor . Come join us in chat some time.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Advanced Taster

Always nice to see another buckeye join the boards. If you have any questions, ask away. This group is always more than willing to answer your questions and have incredible knowledge.