Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: old pulteney

old pulteney

i'm not a scotch person, but have friends that are and have had some nice ones. I came across some 21 yr old pulteney today. For $100, is this worth buying? I've been on the fence of buying 18 yr Yamazaki, but may go another route.

The Voshole

Re: old pulteney

IMHO, yes, it's definitely worth it
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by rutterb View Post
    i'm not a scotch person, but have friends that are and have had some nice ones. I came across some 21 yr old pulteney today. For $100, is this worth buying? I've been on the fence of buying 18 yr Yamazaki, but may go another route.
    For $100 definitely a buy. I paid $130 last year and would not purchase at that price again but I don't regret it one bit.
    The 12 year is also a lot cheaper and just as good so if your not sure go that route.
    Last edited by oke&coke; 10-18-2012 at 20:36.
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rutterb View Post
    Yes and yes. They are both great and should easily satisfy your Scotch-loving friends, though it's certainly unnecessary to spend that kind of money to pick up a high quality bottle of single malt whisky. But for a treat and something not many people get around to trying, I'd go with the OP21.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Yes and yes. They are both great and should easily satisfy your Scotch-loving friends, though it's certainly unnecessary to spend that kind of money to pick up a high quality bottle of single malt whisky. But for a treat and something not many people get around to trying, I'd go with the OP21.
    yes, yes, and yes.
    The OP 21 is a very good scotch but you will get better value from the 17yo - depending on the prices in your market.
    Many of the scotch geeks will tell you the 17 is actually a better scotch than the 21, though the 21 will look more impressive on the shelf.

I'm not a scotch guy at all but I do like the OP12 was the first scotch I ever had that I could drink. Stu got me to drink this.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Virtuoso

OP 21 is very good. OP 12 is also very good. While $100.00 isn't a great sum of money, it isn't chicken feed, either. I almost always opt for Malts under $100.00, as I don't feel the quality is much better in the older, more costly malts.... especially Islay malts.

Guru

http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Old_Pu...ar_164117.html

Here is a nice package of two 375 ml bottles ....12 & 17 year old...for a reasonable $59.99.
    A nice way to try both for the price of one.