Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Enthusiast

Do you "save" any of your bottles?

I have over 90 different bottles in my bar. Every one of them have been opened and tasted, the only ones not opened are backups of my favorites.
    Some here have collectors bottles or signed bottles and keep them intact.
    I also have many signed bottles, but I decided that I would rather enjoy them now and not let my kids have them when I die. They have gotten enough of my money over the years. lol
    Each and every bottle is opened and available to anyone who enters my bar room. No keepers for me. I do have some bottles that I drink less often because I can't find it anymore.
    But mostly I "buy", "drink" and "repeat".
    What do you do?

Gregg
    2012 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football Champion
    2013 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football 3rd Place

Disciple
    The majority of my (80ish) bottles are open. If someone wants a drink from a bottle which hasn't been opened yet, they're always free to open it. Whiskey is for drinking.
    Jim

Guru

Re: Do you "save" any of your bottles?

I try nearly every bottle I buy shortly after I get it so most are open and guests are welcome to try them. I have maybe 60-65 different whiskies of various sorts and perhaps 200 bottles or so of different spirits (I haven't tried to count them all in a while. I started out building a bar to mix cocktails and all those other things like gin and rum plus liqueurs, amaros, brandies and vermouths, etc. add up in a hurry!)

I will sometimes buy more than one if it is a whiskey I think is worth keeping around and I don't think I am likely to find it again in the future. But when the first is done I plan to open the next one available as the need and desire arises. if on the off chance one that I happen to have an extra of proves to be something really special I might sit on it for awhile I suppose.

But it hasn't happened yet!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    Whiskey is for drinking.
    Well said. Whiskey is for drinking, sharing, and having a laugh with friends.

Bill.
    "Civilization begins with distillation."

William Faulkner

Enthusiast

I have a different M.O. I keep only one open at a time, I take my time with it, and when its empty, open the next. I guess you can say I'm a whiskey monogomist.

Disciple

I don't struggle to open new bottles, but I struggle to make myself take the last pour of an already open bottle. I guess I save the end, not the start.

Connoisseur

I am within the consensus, I have 60+ open bottles and I perdioctically revisit them. I have some that are collectible, some that are awaiting a particular milestone, and others are there because I liked it so much a bought another....and maybe four more *cough* JPS *cough*
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Connoisseur

I'm saving empties for a friend. They're going to use them as centerpieces for flowers at their wedding. Got a nice collection going for them.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    I don't struggle to open new bottles, but I struggle to make myself take the last pour of an already open bottle. I guess I save the end, not the start.
    I am a last pour loser in this sense and hold bottles too long after opening for fear of finding its suitable replacement I guess.I have saved many bottles for future displays in my bar,which does not yet exist.I also try to have opened bottles of suitable comparisons,verticals and like bottlings of varying labels.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Disciple

I tell myself I do it for sake of future comparisons, but you can guess how frequently that actually happens.