Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Do you "save" any of your bottles?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    I don't struggle to open new bottles, but I struggle to make myself take the last pour of an already open bottle. I guess I save the end, not the start.
    Im in this category. Until it gets stupid (wayy too many open btls) Then I start knocking out the last few pours of the bottles I like the least. Don't want any bourbon snobs wondering why I'm clinginging to that last sip of r1. Actually I had to mix that one. First time
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Virtuoso

More to your point is that I do save the good stuff. To share with friends as wmpevans and highinthemnts pointed out. Whiskey is for drinking and sharing
    T. Durden

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I have my own variation of that..... 'All Whiskey is for drinking, but good whiskey is for sharing!'

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by camduncan View Post
    I have my own variation of that..... 'All Whiskey is for drinking, but good whiskey is for sharing!'
    Well said! Amen!
    T. Durden

Connoisseur

I have two bottles I'm saving, a Woodford I purchased when my first was born (that's what I was drinking around that time), and a 4R gift shop bottle I purchased after my second was born. They're saved for one of two occasions, a wedding or 21st birthday.

Other than that everything is fair game around here. I do have an "open" cabinet area, which helps keep things in check. It fits about a dozen bottles, and I've been working pretty good lately to rotate out that stuff. When I empty one, I pick one from the bunker to replace it. I'm also on a bunker reduction plan right now, as I can see several things I'd rather have in there by the end of the year, like the current PHC and any BTAC's I choose to pick up.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Guru

No hard and fast rules for me, as my habits have changed over the years. I used to have tons of stuff open at any given time but nowadays that pretty much only applies to my single malt scotches which I nip now and then before moving on to something else the next time around. I probably won't replace half of those when they're gone (terrific as they may be) simply because of the cost involved and the fact that there are just too many others to try. On the bourbon front, I started a campaign earlier this year to knock off all the stuff that's less than a third full because I simply had too much open and needed to reduce the clutter. Even the slightly pricier bourbons ($40+) are far more afforadable than most of the SMS's and therefore easier to replace when I'm out of something, so I drink them with abandon and don't worry about them much.

At the end of the day though, my whiskey consumption simply can't keep pace with the amount of whiskey I actually own, so I generally encourage my friends to drink freely of whatever they want that's open on the bar. Having said that, I must confess that I feel a bit stingey after reading about the "totally open bar" policies some of you have, as most of my SMS's are kept off separately from the rest of my bar stock, as are my hard-to-find bourbons (BHC's, Pappy V's and other no-longer-produced bottles) largely because of the drinking habits of two of my friends who have the tendency to head straight for the top shelf and then consume huge amounts of whiskey without any thought to the expense involved. One of the guys drinks everything on the rocks and could care less about the provenance of a particular whiskey or how special it might be as long as he gets a good buzz going, only to mutter a "meh" at the end of the night whenever you ask what he thought of the whiskey. Conversely, the other fully appreciates the quality of what he drinks but simply drinks way too much of whatever he lays hands on, only to head for the same bottle the next time he visits. There have actually been a number of occasions when they've cracked open expensive and/or rare bottles and the stuff is gone before I realize that I've only had one or two small pours out of the entire bottle. So I guess I have to qualify my statement when I join the rest of you in saying that whiskey is here to drink and meant to be shared with good friends, so long as they make an effort to observe some type of whiskey-drinking etiquette.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

I don't like to keep more that 10 - 15 whiskey bottles open at a time. However, if there is a mood to try something new, I take great pleasure in cracking open a new bottle.

I probably wouldn't open a 2012 GTS if I've already got a 2011 open, though.

One thing I started doing a while ago was making a 2 to 4 oz sample bottle right after opening (if I know it will go quickly) or right before finishing (if it's been sitting around too long and I just want to kill it). This has given me a "library" of samples that I can use for remembering something that I might not have open at the moment without the threat of deterioration from air exposure.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    One thing I started doing a while ago was making a 2 to 4 oz sample bottle right after opening (if I know it will go quickly) or right before finishing (if it's been sitting around too long and I just want to kill it). This has given me a "library" of samples that I can use for remembering something that I might not have open at the moment without the threat of deterioration from air exposure.
    Like a lot of people in this thread, I sometimes have a hard time having the last few pours from a bottle. I've considered this sort of thing; the trouble for me is, if I save 2 oz of some fantastic bottle... how can I ever get myself to drink that 2 oz? I'd just end up with more sample bottles than I know what do do with. Still, a very intriguing idea, especially in cases like your example - it'd be nice to have a bit of the 2011 Stagg left for comparison when you do open your 2012.
    Jim

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    At the end of the day though, my whiskey consumption simply can't keep pace with the amount of whiskey I actually own, so I generally encourage my friends to drink freely of whatever they want that's open on the bar. Having said that, I must confess that I feel a bit stingey after reading about the "totally open bar" policies some of you have, as most of my SMS's are kept off separately from the rest of my bar stock, as are my hard-to-find bourbons (BHC's, Pappy V's and other no-longer-produced bottles) largely because of the drinking habits of two of my friends who have the tendency to head straight for the top shelf and then consume huge amounts of whiskey without any thought to the expense involved. One of the guys drinks everything on the rocks and could care less about the provenance of a particular whiskey or how special it might be as long as he gets a good buzz going, only to mutter a "meh" at the end of the night whenever you ask what he thought of the whiskey. Conversely, the other fully appreciates the quality of what he drinks but simply drinks way too much of whatever he lays hands on, only to head for the same bottle the next time he visits. There have actually been a number of occasions when they've cracked open expensive and/or rare bottles and the stuff is gone before I realize that I've only had one or two small pours out of the entire bottle. So I guess I have to qualify my statement when I join the rest of you in saying that whiskey is here to drink and meant to be shared with good friends, so long as they make an effort to observe some type of whiskey-drinking etiquette.

I suppose if I had friends with those unpleasant habits I might be more circumspect in my sharing as well. For the first guy it might be time to refill the Pappy bottle with standard Buffalo Trace (or maybe Kirkland brand!) and let him have at it.

Doesn't sound like he is going to know anyway...

The other guy might be a tougher nut to crack although it wouldn't surprise me if you put a decent bourbon in an upscale bottle that he would not know the difference. I suspect the vast majority of the unwashed masses aren't going to know the difference (and perhaps I would be one of them. I make no claim to be an expert. I only know what I like and don't like!), especially if it has some similarity in taste profile.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Virtuoso

I only have one bottle saved. It is the Pappy 23 with the wooden box, decanter, glasses and such. I have hidden it away and tried to block out of my mind where it is. I am planning on opening it up the year of my 50th birthday and 30th wedding anniversary Everything else is open game currently I have about 15 bottles open which is all the space I have in that area so will not be opening another until I finish one of those.

Someone had mentioned signed bottles and I have a question on this. When Karry and I were at the KBF we stopped at a liquor store for some bottles and Craig Beam was there signing bottles. I told the woman in front of me at the table to enjoy her bottles as I am sure it was going to be some great bourbon. She looked at me with that kind of look that said I was crazy and then told me that she never opens her signed bottles. Does anyone else do this? It seems silly to me to buy a bottle and not drink it because it has a signature on it. Sure I can see saving the bottle after it is emptied to be a reminder of the time you met and chatted with the distiller but to not open it seems crazy.

Best regards, Tony