Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Disciple

Re: Do you "save" any of your bottles?

If I wanted to keep the signed bottle unopened, I'd just have Craig sign something like a bottle of EWB that's very easy to come by. 'Cause if I had a signed PHC... it would have to be opened. No question.

But I'm no autograph hound. Autographs are something a lot of people collect, and I can understand wanting the bottle to be unopened if it's part of an autograph collection.
    Jim

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    Like a lot of people in this thread, I sometimes have a hard time having the last few pours from a bottle. I've considered this sort of thing; the trouble for me is, if I save 2 oz of some fantastic bottle... how can I ever get myself to drink that 2 oz? I'd just end up with more sample bottles than I know what do do with. Still, a very intriguing idea, especially in cases like your example - it'd be nice to have a bit of the 2011 Stagg left for comparison when you do open your 2012.
    Warning: This procedure is pretty nerdy and a bit obsessive. I'm usually not embarrassed about my collection, despite people giving me grief about having so much booze (relatively...some of you guys put me to shame). However, the following description is something that no one in my circle of friends knows about, as I think they would start to consider me some sort of hoarder. I figure I'm in good company here, but feel free to judge.

Well, I always have a taste when I open a new bottle. If I love it straight away, I'll fill a 4 oz bottle and label it. The idea is to capture that now, as the bottle will probably go quickly. This way, I will have a reference taster if it is something that I won't be able to get again (limited editions, dusty bottles, discontinued/expensive bottles). For example, I loved my bottle of 2011 WLW, and I was able to compare that to the 2012, despite the 2011 being long gone, without opening another 2011 bottle right away. I just poured a few sips out of the sample bottle.

If there is a bottle that hasn't charmed me, or is just taking too long to finish (6+ months), then I will bring the bottle to a party, offer it to guests, etc. When it gets down to the last 2- 4 oz, then I will decant that into a sample bottle and label. The idea is to have a reference so that I can remind myself what it tastes like in case I think about getting another bottle in the future. For example, I had a bottle of Booker's that wasn't going anywhere, and I can always pull out that sample to remind myself that I don't need another.

So while I have about 40 bottles of whiskey, and about 15 open, I have a secret collection of about 40 samples when I just want a taste.

Hey, at least I don't save my fingernail clippings!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by aea6574 View Post
    I only have one bottle saved. It is the Pappy 23 with the wooden box, decanter, glasses and such. I have hidden it away and tried to block out of my mind where it is. I am planning on opening it up the year of my 50th birthday and 30th wedding anniversary Everything else is open game currently I have about 15 bottles open which is all the space I have in that area so will not be opening another until I finish one of those.

Someone had mentioned signed bottles and I have a question on this. When Karry and I were at the KBF we stopped at a liquor store for some bottles and Craig Beam was there signing bottles. I told the woman in front of me at the table to enjoy her bottles as I am sure it was going to be some great bourbon. She looked at me with that kind of look that said I was crazy and then told me that she never opens her signed bottles. Does anyone else do this? It seems silly to me to buy a bottle and not drink it because it has a signature on it. Sure I can see saving the bottle after it is emptied to be a reminder of the time you met and chatted with the distiller but to not open it seems crazy.

Best regards, Tony
    When i have multiples, i drink the signed one last. over the years i have drunk every signed wine bottle i have gotten and then tossed it in the bin at the end. same with bourbon's. At least the lady you saw wasn't planning on flipping it as a collectable. I remember when Jim Rutledge politely asked if he should exclude my name on the personalization because he has been repeatedly told it makes the bottles "worth more" I shudder to think how many dooshbags this guy has to deal with in a year. maybe that's why these distiller types are so friendly to people with a little bit of knowledge and a lot of interest.
    As you revealed Tony i'm a little bit of a hypocrite on the open bottle policy (my wooden box old rip has been in the plain white cardboard box in my closet since i bought itin 2009, hasn't seen the light of day since)
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I suppose if I had friends with those unpleasant habits I might be more circumspect in my sharing as well. For the first guy it might be time to refill the Pappy bottle with standard Buffalo Trace (or maybe Kirkland brand!) and let him have at it.

Doesn't sound like he is going to know anyway...

The other guy might be a tougher nut to crack although it wouldn't surprise me if you put a decent bourbon in an upscale bottle that he would not know the difference. I suspect the vast majority of the unwashed masses aren't going to know the difference (and perhaps I would be one of them. I make no claim to be an expert. I only know what I like and don't like!), especially if it has some similarity in taste profile.
    I'm sure you're right that my one friend wouldn't know the difference between the high end stuff on my shelf (that he always reaches for to show everyone he's a real connoisseur) and nearly any mid-shelfer that I might substitute in its place. He's strictly a "fill the tumbler with ice and start pounding" type of guy who once mocked me for commenting about how much I love Highland Park 18 (which set me back $120) because the flavors/aromas in the glass always manage to transport me back to the sights and smells of a seaside cottage I once rented just down the road from the distillery in Orkney, Scotland. His reply was that he could care less if the stuff was "made by some slob in his basement, as long as it gets me fu*ked up." He then proceeded to down half the bottle before announcing that the HP18 was just "okay" but "not a whole lot better than the McClelland's Highland that I can get anywhere for $20." Nice, eh? The other guy wiped out a bottle of WT American Spirit in two sessions but wouldn't have been any the wiser if I'd poured him Rare Breed which had me questioning the wisdom of breaking out that bottle. I may have to pick up a handle of something decent and fill a decanter with "mystery" whiskey before their next visit.
    Last edited by unclebunk; 10-23-2012 at 13:27.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Heh, sounds like you've learned your lesson. I wouldn't hesitate to serve him $20/bottle stuff from here on out.

Virtuoso

I got to participate in choosing a barrel of Knob Creek Single Barrel for work. So I have one bottle of that stashed away for, what I'm planning to be, a long time. We'll see how it works out!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by aea6574 View Post
    Someone had mentioned signed bottles and I have a question on this. When Karry and I were at the KBF we stopped at a liquor store for some bottles and Craig Beam was there signing bottles. I told the woman in front of me at the table to enjoy her bottles as I am sure it was going to be some great bourbon. She looked at me with that kind of look that said I was crazy and then told me that she never opens her signed bottles. Does anyone else do this? It seems silly to me to buy a bottle and not drink it because it has a signature on it. Sure I can see saving the bottle after it is emptied to be a reminder of the time you met and chatted with the distiller but to not open it seems crazy.
    Bourbon is made for drinking, but I have 2 signed ETL 90th Birthday bottles I'm hanging on to. They look good on the bar and I think its something that is pretty rare. Anything else though, no matter how old it is or which distillery it's from, is fair game.