Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taster

Whiskey getting harder to find

I keep seeing stories recently about whiskey that was easy to find getting scarce. Here's one from K&L:
    http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/kl...er-to-get.html

I guess we are just lucky here in TN. Most whiskies are really in good supply. Angel's envy? yep, no problem. WL 12? Yep, plenty by the cases. Bulleit, 4R? yep, plenty. Anyone seeing supply in general drying up (beyond the pappy always-hard-to-find)?

Chuck has info from BT warning of shortages too:
    http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/201...d-buffalo.html
    http://whiskeylist.blogspot.com/ downloadable spreadsheet of over 2000 North American Whiskies

Enthusiast

Re: Whiskey getting harder to find

So its our fault now.....................great!!!

Everything is cyclical, everything. The weather, politics, wives, why not whiskey.

The current boom has, as stated in Col Chuck's blog created a shortage of sorts, one we perhaps dont quite see....yet. In reaction the distilleries are ramping up and increasing their aging supply while many many small "mirco"-distilleries pop up from every gopher hole.

So when the real "shortage" hits folks turn to other spirits and for new relationships. Maybe the next forum will be "nastygin.com", who knows. but the interesting thing is what happens next.

People got so accustomed to drinking clear pine tar because they couldnt get bourbon, they dont notice when they can. All of the sudden the shortage turns to glut. (love me a good glut).

History tends to repeat itself itself itself itself.................
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."

Guru

More and more things do seem to be in shorter supply here than they have been in the past. But in general I don't have too much of a problem finding what I want.

Guru

If a particular label is in short supply, I'm usually able to find something else to fit the bill. Or - I can wait (as I haven't found myself with NO whiskey yet)!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Disciple

Last time I checked my basement, the supply was doing just Fine! Thomas

Guru

There's a certain amount of solace knowing today is a work day and the stills of Kentucky are up and running.
    Last edited by squire; 05-22-2013 at 17:06.

Connoisseur

No shortage of bourbons or scotches here, but not a large selection of ryes.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    There's a certain amount of solace knowing today is a work day and the stills of Kentucky are up and running.
    Work day.....??? how would you know Squire?
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."

Advanced Taster

I'd take that KL wines article with a grain of salt, ex. the Russells Reserve is plentiful everywhere I've been. While bars/restaurants may have put a strain on supply, I suspect any shortages will be highly dependent upon geography and, as stated, temporary.

The news creates an interesting situation. In one way shortages may become a self-fulfilling prophecy as we all line the shelves of our bourbon bunkers. But the good news is the distillers won't be slowing down anytime soon.

Guru

Meruck wrote: Work day.....??? how would you know Squire?

Lucky guess on my part.