Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Which Four Roses expression should I buy?

Happened to pass through my local store just as the 2012 Limited Edition Small Batch was hitting the shelves (well, not so much going on the shelf but rather being tucked away behind the counter. I was able to secure one of the few bottles not yet already promised) so I decided to give it a try. Don't have much recent experience with FR although I had a bit of it (yellow label I would guess) back in the day. I did pick up a bottle of the 2011 Limited Edition Single Barrel last year but unlike most of the whiskeys I buy I didn't ever get around to trying it.

Reviews seem to be a bit mixed on the 2011 SB LE so I was thinking it might be a nice option to bring the GBS gathering this weekend and see what some experienced bourbon enthusiasts thought of it!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    I'm drinking some TPS OBSQ right now. It's fantastic, it gets better with every pour. When I bought it, I also got an OBSK. At first it was clear that OBSK was my favorite of the two; now, not so clear - both are great; these are some wonderful bourbons. I don't think you can go wrong.
    I vote oesq or obsq- the q is far and away the most unique thing they churn out. K is probably the most traditional (not necessarily in a bad way).

Call around- I think the lincoln park/marcey street location had at least a few bottles open at the service desk for sampling, although it is likely that it is a previous barreling, it will no doubt point you in the right direction.

Enthusiast

Small batch is a great entry bottle. I brought a bottle to a Halloween party full of non-bourbon drinkers and it was gone in an hour.

Guru

As far as the individual recipe single barrels go, I would take a look at Dorothy's, I mean Oscar's, Four Roses Recipes thread and find the recipes for the ltd. ed. single barrels and try some of those. Might be a nice place to start.
    Last edited by Josh; 10-30-2012 at 16:54.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Taster

I would recommend starting with a bottle of the small batch and a bottle of the regular single barrel. They are reasonably priced and I have never been disappointed by either one (although I prefer the single barrel).

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    All of them.

Seriously, though, you can't go wrong with any of those, except for the F yeast ones. Stay away.
    Last night, best Four Roses I have EVER had: 10 yr, 4 mth, OESF. Never been a huge Four Roses guy, but this is one of my top whiskies EVER. I wish I had every bottle from this barrel.

-Mike
    Last edited by scratchline; 06-13-2013 at 05:05.
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Virtuoso

[QUOTE=scratchline;349506]Last night, best Four Roses I have EVER had: 10 yr, 4 mth, OESF. Never been a huge Four Roses guy, but this was one of my top whiskies EVER. I wish I had every bottle from this barrel.

Gift shop or Private Selection? I have a TPS Private Selection Barrel Strength OESF at 9yr. 11mo that I haven't opened yet but your post may be the catalyst to do so.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Connoisseur

Private Selection. Just looked at the Party Source site. I'd say open your bottle and try it. Particularly since you can get another one if you end up sharing my enthusiasm for this recipe.

BTW, I didn't find it especially minty. Very round and dark. And to me the higher proof made it richer than some of the other barrel strength Four Roses I've tried. It was very easy to drink without water.

-Mike
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

Enthusiast

Glad this thread has been revived because my opinions have changed a bit. I think the F yeast strain is the most volitile, but can yield some amazing results. I've tried a few OBSFs that were meh at best. Then I tried an OESF aged a tad over ten years that was absolutely amazing - real earthy and organic tasting - outside FR's normal profile. I have a new respect for the F yeast these days.
    Justin

Connoisseur

Justin, I agree with you about this bottle being outside the characteristic taste profile for Four Roses. In fact, I wouldn't have identified it as a Four Roses bourbon if I had tasted it blind. I guess it's just more proof of how big the Four Roses playing field is.