Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Apprentice

Re: Crown Royal maple finish whisky!

I saw this stuff in the store the other weekend. I wasn't a fan of the JD Honey and figured another whiskey with a flavor in it probably wasn't going to be any better. From the reviews on here, it sounds like it's not that great. Good thing I didn't pick up a bottle.

I will admit, I am a fan of Crown. I know it's not the best, but I enjoy it.

Virtuoso

Sampled some neat and thought it was like Aunt Jemima with a splash of Crown. The smell was overpoweringly maple. If you like heavily flavored whiskies this might be something you should try.
    Not something I would ever consider sipping neat again but I would wager a talented barkeep could make a wonderful hot toddy with it.

Taster

Like an idiot I bought it cause I saw it at a display right by the door. OOh, look, something new in pretty packaging!

This is not a "finished whiskey." Its a syrup bottle with a splash of liquor. There is something wrong with me.

Guru

This doesn't sound very appealing to me, apparently I'm not part of their target market.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

My review is here. I like it better than most of you do. Open a bottle at a Christmas party and it will disappear.

Ironically, I think what you're getting as the bitter aftertaste is that oak finishing process. (I got them to give me a more intelligble explanation of it.) It's a bit of a raw oak flavor that finishes bitter. It's not something they use for regular Crown.

So even though they call it 'finished,' it's actually both flavored and finished. It is classified as flavored whiskey.

And while the label may not have the word "Canadian" on it, it does say "Toronto - Ontario - Canada" and there's a big stinking maple leaf right in the middle.
    Last edited by cowdery; 11-27-2012 at 15:45.

Guru

Yeah the leaf is a bit of a giveaway, attractive bottle though, looks yummy.

Virtuoso

I'm not a big fan of Crown but I did get a chance to try this recently. While I thought it was well done it's not something I would personally buy. A tad bit too rich on the maple flavoring. But I expected far worse based upon the nose!

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Is this as syrupy sweet, and similar to Spicebox? That sweetness and flavoring of that product was way too overboard for my tastes. I would try the Crown if it is much more toned down.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

You won't like it. It's at least as overpowering as Spicebox. Canadian whisky is just so mild, it doesn't stand up well to flavoring. The whiskey just disappears. It might as well be flavored vodka.

Speaking of Spicebox, that's the theme of a new line of flavored Johnnie Walker whiskies.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    You won't like it. It's at least as overpowering as Spicebox. Canadian whisky is just so mild, it doesn't stand up well to flavoring. The whiskey just disappears. It might as well be flavored vodka.

Speaking of Spicebox, that's the theme of a new line of flavored Johnnie Walker whiskies.
    My BIL had a bottle of this over the Holiday's. You're absolutely correct. No whiskey taste at all. Though, I liked the taste of the flavoring more than I did the taste of the Spicebox. But, that ain't saying much, and certainly not an endorsement in any way! I will say, however, that I didn't hate it. Just not my cup of goo...

FWIW, I thought it tasted identical to Butterscotch Schnapps. That mess, and the bad experience associated with it, is forever burned in my brain...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama