Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Crown Royal maple finish whisky!

I agree but I blended extra Canadian whisky (regular CC, 6 years old) and bourbon into my bottle and it is much better now. Treat it as a component of a "Rob Roy" or another type of cocktail and it works very well. What they get right, and you can't do at home, or I can't, is the vanilla and other spice flavors. So I use that as a starting point. Mine is probably 2/3rds Spicebox, 1/3rd mixed CC and bourbons. It goes great over vanilla ice cream for dessert, too.

Gary

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    My BIL had a bottle of this over the Holiday's. You're absolutely correct. No whiskey taste at all. Though, I liked the taste of the flavoring more than I did the taste of the Spicebox. But, that ain't saying much, and certainly not an endorsement in any way! I will say, however, that I didn't hate it. Just not my cup of goo...

FWIW, I thought it tasted identical to Butterscotch Schnapps. That mess, and the bad experience associated with it, is forever burned in my brain...
    A BIL picked this up as a Christmas gift (he is not informed about whiskey) so I went ahead and cracked it open. Yep, maple on the nose and I did pick up Butterscotch as a flavor. It is what it is....a dessert type of pour...maybe a good addition to some vanilla ice cream.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    My BIL had a bottle of this over the Holiday's. You're absolutely correct. No whiskey taste at all.

That explains why my non-whiskey friends love this stuff (and Seagram's 7 Honey) when they mix it with 7Up

Connoisseur

Had a good friend, God bless him he tried. Said it was the only thing he could find I had not tried. I tatsted a small bit, may be good for a cold, but just too much maple. Aunt Jemima maple. I am sure this has maple flavoring and not the real deal. We make a maple liquer and maple does not smell like that in liquer if it is the real deal. My wife loves it though.

Guru

We ate at a local Italian restaurant and I noticed that one of the appetizers was bacon wrapped scallops sauteed in Crown Royal Maple Finish.
    That may be a very good use because it adds to the sweetness of the scallop and the maple of the bacon. I did not order it but will consider at a future visit.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The CR Maple is doing very well and they're spending a lot of money promoting it. I do like the oak notes they got from specially treating some raw oak staves and soaking them in it. That's the only real whiskey note I can detect.

I tried this tonight at an LCBO tasting counter and counter to my expectation, thought it was very nice, especially for the price. It wasn't excessively sweet but had good maple and oaky - whisky if you will - notes. This is okay, I can see it on the rocks or neat after dinner, or after a run on the slalom perhaps lightly warmed, a la hot buttered rum.

Gary

Guru

That's good to hear Gary, may help develop an interest in whisky from the cocktail crowd.

Indeed, it's a good product and a U.S. analogue is the honeyed version of Jack Daniels. These are not drinks I might choose very often but they excellent of their kind and it should be said. (Whereas, say, Fireball, is for me way too much sugar with no whisky taste - however I can get good use out of it still by adding whisky of various kinds judiciously).

Gary