Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Crown Royal maple finish whisky!

Got it in the store today, $19.99/750ml, $39.99/1.75l. Tasted it and it is smooth, but quite sweet, has a maple flavor reminiscent of some maple flavored granola. Its not bad, but too sweet for me. Also not sure about their claims, I can't tell if its finished in maple wood, or if maple flavor is added or what they've done. But so far it has sold well, sold 3 sleeves of miniatures, and some 750's will hopefully move this weekend and throughout the holidays.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Whilst the process they've used is different that the honey flavoured bourbons we've been seeing more of lately, I'm left wondering if it's their way of tapping the emerging trend/market..

Advanced Taster

Coming from a big crown royal drinker who has tasted every one released and also had a bottle from the 70s, I have to say that this was the absolute biggest disappointment for me. To me, it tasted like they simply took crown royal and added maple syrup. There is no "maple finish" its just maple. I opened it and poured a drink and after I was done the smell lingered in the air for another 10 minutes. I was contemplating mixing half the bottle with half regular crown and seeing if it knocks down the maple at all, but I didn't want to waste regular crown. If done right, it could have been so good.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by skidfive View Post
    Coming from a big crown royal drinker who has tasted every one released and also had a bottle from the 70s, I have to say that this was the absolute biggest disappointment for me. To me, it tasted like they simply took crown royal and added maple syrup. There is no "maple finish" its just maple. I opened it and poured a drink and after I was done the smell lingered in the air for another 10 minutes. I was contemplating mixing half the bottle with half regular crown and seeing if it knocks down the maple at all, but I didn't want to waste regular crown. If done right, it could have been so good.
    Why don't you mix it in a glass with regular crown first? The. You would know if mixing the rest is worth it.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Ejmharris View Post
    Why don't you mix it in a glass with regular crown first? The. You would know if mixing the rest is worth it.
    ha, I feel dumb for not thinking about that. I must have been off my game after having a sip of the maple crown.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by skidfive View Post
    ha, I feel dumb for not thinking about that. I must have been off my game after having a sip of the maple crown.
    I seem to be off my game more than on it myself these days. .

Virtuoso

From the reviews i had read, i was half expecting a slight maple taste and then the Crown bite...nope. If you're looking for "hot" maple syrup taste i think i still prefer Tap 357.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    The website claims it was finished in "maple toasted oak" - what does that even mean?
    "Maple toasted oak" sounds a lot more like marketing hype than a real process. Here's my theory after having tasted this stuff last nite.

Toasting oak barrels (by fire) adds color and flavor to whiskey. Seasoning oak with an infusion of caramel color and artificial maple flavor would also add color and flavor to the spirit exposed to it.

Crown Royal Maple Whiskey (no "Canadian" on the label that I saw) has a slight aroma of maple, but a strong bitter aftertaste reminiscent of the the taste you get with cheap pancake syrup. A taste not found in real Maple Syrup.

I wouldn't try this vile stuff again. We did discuss using it in cooking in some way. But why? If I want maple and whiskey flavor, I would rather use the real Maple syrup and bourbon.

But someone will buy this product. My buddy liked it a lot when mixed with Coke.

Connoisseur

I picked up a mini the other day, for a buck. Not something I'd buy again. Maple flavored for sure, certainly not maple finished. Like steeltownbbq said, it has a bitter finish like a cheap maple syrup you picked up at the dollar store before you went camping. It does fine shooting it, but sipping it just brings out the unbalance of the sweet maple start and the bitter blech at the end.

Glad I've only got 25ml to work through....
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Virtuoso

Generally air is the friend of most Whisky, not this time. I had a drink a week or so back and didn't care for it. Went back to try again and it tasted like spoiled cheap maple syrup. Now it's a question of toss or use to marinate. Not sure how they missed the mark this far given the R&D budget they likely have.