Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Hello from small town Indiana

Greetings -

I've been checking out various forums and blogs and have learned a lot. Took a trip to DC and Williamsburg, VA this last Spring and while on the road took the opportunity to purchase some bourbon (VOB 86, Ancient Age, AAA 10 Yr, Eagle Rare and Virginia Gentleman) that is not always readily available around here. Enjoyed the VOB 86 (first one i opened and it was like a fresh donut- hard to not have another) and AAA 10 YR (toffee and buttery sweetness) a great deal. I did not care for the Virginia Gentleman and will watch for higher proof next time. Ancient Age is my current mixer. Eagle Rare is waiting for a fellow bourbon drinker to return for the holidays. I have added Baker's (most notable to me is the texture is like smooth glass), Four Roses Small Batch and Evan Williams Black to the line up.

I'm taking my time and enjoying the differences and figuring out what it is that I really like or would rather avoid.

Your (all you good SB members out there) posts and comments on many threads have helped me a great deal to not just grab any bottle, and I am looking forward to making my way around the forum. Also looking forward to a Bulldog basketball season to accompany many more pours.

Thanks for letting me share and sharing your time.

Re: Hello from small town Indiana

Welcome aboard! We have many members from Indiana and they like to get together from time to time so keep your eye on the social thread for one of those. I hope you enjoy your time here and I hope to see you start posting on the boards and come join us in chat some time.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Advanced Taster

Welcome to the board
    "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy."
    -Frank Sinatra

Virtuoso

Howdy and welcome from over in Michigan.

Glad to have you here.

Best regards, Tony

Connoisseur

[QUOTE=Bulldog IN ... Enjoyed the VOB 86 (first one i opened and it was like a fresh donut- hard to not have another) ... [/QUOTE] Yeah, that's a good description of VOB. Welcome. There's also a bonded version in some states.

Novice

Thanks for the welcome. I hope to be active on the forum and have something interesting to add.

PaulO, I know the VOB 86 and 90 are available in Indy and north toward where I live. I am not sure the VOB BIB is available in Indiana, and if it is it may not be this far north. I take it you would consider it worthy (it is on my list). Have to admit, my search has not been extensive. It may take me a while to get to some of the stores with those expressions as one of the stores I frequent just added several selections that I have not seen on their shelves until the last two weeks. Kind of nice, I can shop local and get what I want to try.

When I get the chance and am in the market, my list so far is manageable in Indiana with a few exceptions.

VOB BIB
    EC 12
    Old Fitzgerald
    EWSB
    FR Yellow
    Larceny
    Bulleit
    Backbone (had a taste, just wasn't ready to spend that day)

Disciple

Welcome neighbor (sort of - Monticello). I usually head to Lafayette when I'm looking for a decent selection, but i imagine there are some bottle to be found in Kokomo as well - just don't know where.

Connoisseur
    Welcome!

Born and raised in Indiana myself. Grew up in Columbus, went to school in Terre Haute, and settled in Noblesville on the Northeast side of Indy. What town are you from?

Glad you found the site. Lots of great info on here and good people to get to know and chat with. Like Paul mentioned, a lot of us Indy guys get together fairly often so keep your eyes pealed for thread get-togethers.

If you have any questions or anything, don't hesitate to ask. Glad to have you!
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Novice

Born in Wabash. Raised outside Lafontaine and live near there now. I have family in Logansport and west of Monticello (Bourbon Boiler). I lived in Fishers for a short time after college so I know the Noblesville area pretty well, even though a lot has changed in that area.

Thanks for the welcome and the info shared so far.

Guru

Belated welcome Bulldog! I grew up on the Northside of Indianapolis (the actual Northside) just a short drive from Butler. Never seen VOB BiB in Indiana which is too bad. Plenty of 90 & 86 proof tho. Cheers!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog