Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Hi I'm Dan.

Novice

Hi I'm Dan.

Hello all,

My name is Dan. I'm a student at St. Louis University. Iím a newbie to bourbon, although I have been learning a lot from reddit.com/r/bourbon. I went on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail earlier this week and am in the process of slowly trying all of the cheapest bourbons as I work my way up. I've had a good time so far. I read through the helpful hints to new guys and looked around the forums and everything here looks great!

First off, Iíve got a couple questions about these forums...

• As Iím getting into this, I want to have one main site where I can find bourbon information. After looking at these forums, I am wondering if this is the best place to find the most experts and the most advice. reddit.com/r/bourbon has been very helpful and Iíll continue to use that as a resource, but I was wondering if there was one forum or website that most bourbonists agree on as their ďhome.Ē Would you describe these forums as a ďhomeĒ base and the best source for information and reviews?
    • One of the main things that I like about r/bourbon is the focus on everyone reviewing whatever whiskey or bourbon they are on. After looking on these forums, I see the Bourbon of the Month reviews by everyone, but I donít see a place where I would put my own reviews. For example, if I wanted to review Jim Beam White, primarily for my own experience, I donít know what section would be best to put that in. I mainly like to post these to get feedback from knowledgeable folks. I would like a place where I can collect all of my reviews together. Where would that go here? In Tastings? Would I make a new thread for each tasting?

Virtuoso

Re: Hi I'm Dan.

Welcome Dan. Glad u found your way inside. I've never been to reddit for anything but I can tell you that there are a whole lot of experts here both real and imagined. I'm not sure you will find a huge database of amateur tasting notes. Although there are a lot mixed into many of the threads. Especially the tasting thread. Knock yourself out in there. U can either start a new thread for each whiskey or just start a "dans tasting notes" thread and see who plays along. U will definetely find a ton of history, background, provenance and bullshit about all kinds of bourbon that has ever been on the market. New stuff coming out? Yup you will be the first to know all about it. Spend some time using the search option. It's all here
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Hi Dan welcome aboard! To answer your questions 1 your not going to find a more informed group of bourbon enthusiast than you have found here. We have 2 members of the bourbon hall of fame, whiskey writers and publishers, master distillers, other people who work in the industry just as an example of some of our membership. 2nd Tastings would be the place to put your tasting notes and I like Kevin's idea just start your own thread of Dan's tasting notes and see where it goes from there. Something that you can have fun with and it won't clutter up the tasting forum works perfect. I have never been to redit before either but I took a quick look and book marked it so when I have time I can go look around.

I almost forgot post often and come join us in chat some time.
    Last edited by p_elliott; 10-26-2012 at 07:33.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Novice

Restaurant Man - Thanks for the welcome. It sounds like I will make this place my home for information then. I think I will take your advice and make just one thread to put all my tasting notes under. Then if you experienced people want to give your thoughts/advice, it is all in one place for me. Plus it won't clog up the forums with too many posts.

p_elliot - Thanks for the added information, I appreciate it.

Disciple

Sounds like you got yourself on the right foot,the Bourbon Trail can cause an interest into an obsession.I welcome you to the board and the knowledge here is infinite.Good luck with your journey into the wonderful world of bourbon,sit back and enjoy the ride.I also think you have made the right decision by starting with entry level expressions and working you way up from there,too many dive into high proof or limited releases before establishing their palates.I believe you should try different profiles and expressions see what you like and move forward from there,this will help you find your niche and you will never be disappointed.
    Last edited by WAINWRIGHT; 10-27-2012 at 09:00.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Novice

Yeah the Bourbon Trail certainly helped. As you said, the entry level expressions was a good choice for two major reasons. One, it helps to develop my palate and understand the major offerings from the big brands. I've always been one to move forward slowly but surely. Secondly, I'm a college student so I lack the funding for some of the higher end stuff.

Guru

Welcome Dan! I think this is a great resource. I follow some other blogs and such for tasting notes, but I think this is the best "one stop shop" for all things bourbon.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

I concur. This forum is THE place to get everything from industry insight to what everyone is drinking and buying today. You can find history, facts, opinion, and post your own experiences and questions for all the people who have been doing this a long time. I just recently joined the site and have thoroughly enjoyed my time here and learned a ton. There are only two things that might rather I didn't find this sight and know what I know after finding this sight and those are my bank account and my girlfriend. Welcome.

Novice

darylld911 - Thanks for the welcome, appreciate it.

RVTsteve - Good to know, I'll definitely get settled in here

Disciple

Welcome Dan. Don't know if you're into basketball, but Rick Majerus has always been one of my favorite coaches, dating back to his Ball St. days. Anyway, that's the first thing I thought of when you mentioned SLU.

A site with good amateur reviews is BourbonEnthusist dot com. The conversation isn't nearly as good there, and this is a much better place to ask a question, but BE has a good listing of reviews of just about anything.

You're doing the right thing with exploring a few low/mid shelf items in depth rather than buying everything or trying the most expensive bottles you can get. The important thing is to learn what you like, and if you can learn why, then the journey is that much easier. I know my sweet spot is higher than normal rye content, 90 - 105 proof, 6-10 years. I can usually judge new releases by those variables. That's not to say I don't like anything else, but that's where I get the highest value for what I spend.

Have fun!