Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Guru

Bonham's Whiskey Auction

$333 for a BUB? That's what somebody paid in a recent Bonham's auction in LA, and that's not even the worst of it. Adam from the LA Whisk(e)y Society writes about it here: http://lawhiskeysociety.com/pages/Bo...on-Use-Caution

His conclusion is that, yes, these people are dumb for not doing any sort of research but it's also bad for the rest of us because their ignorance drives whiskey prices higher for everyone.

Any thoughts?

Chuck's take is here: http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/201...h-bonhams.html
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Re: Bonham's Whiskey Auction

I particularly like the circa 50s 1996 vintage.

To what extent do these auctions actually influence retail prices?

Connoisseur

Forget the mislabeled stuff. I want to meet the person that paid $892 incl premium for 3 bottles of BT experimental collection!

I hope who ever bought the AMS medicinal whiskey bought it as an "investment" as they spent alot of money on the most vile tasting whiskey I have ever tasted

Advanced Taster

I was blown away by the price on the AMS whiskey. That stuff was all over ebay for years and never brought that much. There were some head scratchers. $380 for 2 VW 12's and a VW 10? Um, I'll go ahead and take 18 bottles of Weller 12 instead, thank you very much.

I had my eye on the Parker's Heritage lot. Mostly for fun, I figured there would be no way it wouldn't go for much more than I would pay. Even that was messed up. It was listed as 2 golden anniversarys, and 3 10 year olds. But the picture looks to me to be 2 GA's, 1 Cognac, 1 27, and 1 10. In the end, the buyer probably got 2 evan williams black labels, a EW SB, and an EC12.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    I particularly like the circa 50s 1996 vintage.

To what extent do these auctions actually influence retail prices?
    That's a good question. I wish Adam would have spelled that out a little more.

There are plenty of cases of people who have told tales of store owners pointing to ebay to justify their pricing of stuff like Van Winkle and BTAC. Auctions like this might have the same impact, but those store owners whose stock turns over so slowly that they have 1980s or 1990s stuff still in the store are not likely to be the ones spending a lot of time searching auction information online, especially now that ebay has changed its policy.

I think his broader point is a good one, though. Uninformed consumers do funny things to the market.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

It's funny. Nobody takes the prices paid at the Getz auction seriously because that's viewed as a charitable donation, not a real test of the market. No charity involved here just, apparently, people with more money than sense. I got an email today from someone particularly incensed about the 'circa 1950s' Elmer T. Lee.

Re that, does anyone remember when the original version of that was introduced and when it was replaced by the current bottle? I think the current bottle came in 2002. I thought the original was mid-1990s but the 'circa 1950s' bottle at auction has Buffalo Trace on the label, and that name didn't appear until 1999.

The guy who wrote to me about it said he complained to Bonhams and was treated rudely, although that may be because he insisted on calling the Lee bottle and others 'fakes.'

I think auctions have zero effect on the market at large but may have a small effect on prices of things like the Antique Collection, although the individual store's past experience with demand for those limited release series is much more important. It's meaningful that usually when something like a Van Winkle or Hirsch is spotted at retail, it's over-priced, and that's probably why it's still sitting there. Most people who buy this stuff know what it's worth, which is why the Bonhams results are so odd.
    Last edited by cowdery; 10-31-2012 at 14:46.

Guru

I hope they were incensed with themselves.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

He didn't buy it and said he was put-off on bidding for anything because of the things he knew were wrong.

Advanced Taster

Bonham's ought to be ashamed. Caveat emptor? Sure, but Bonham's knowingly sold items that were obviously misrepresented. I'd like to think Bonham's was at least slightly better than the local flea market but I guess not. I'd rather deal with a shady guy and his collection "found" items.