Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Apprentice

Re: Arkansas and vicinity....

I'm just north of Russellville, right on I-40. About 1/2 way between Little Rock and Fort Smith. I'm in the middle of the dry area....

Like I said no offense intended but this is an expensive hobby not like scotch but still expensive. Your going to do some driving and some looking around. Most of the liquor store employees couldn't tell you what they have on the shelves. They don't know a bourbon from a Canadian so calling is not going to do you much good. You're in a rural area where there are not a lot of members to help you.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Apprentice

Well, I'm not a collector. I really enjoyed the two BIBs I've tasted (VOB and OHH), and just hope to be able to find some more. Not rich...not trying to beat anybody out of anything. I'll never compete with anyone for anything over $50.00/750mL. You all can have it. I just hope for some more of the gold-label Old Heaven Hill BIB that I found in Waco the other day....

So, if there's anyone who can tell me where I can get some more of these two (or any other BIBs) here in Arkansas, I'd appreciate it. If you can't, well, that's okay, too. I will keep looking, and I do know how to use Google maps. Just thought someone on here might be able to help.

By the way, if there's anybody near Waco that wants to find some good, inexpensive (and maybe even dusty) Old Heaven Hill BIB (and also VOB BIB), it can be found at the north side of town at the store that starts with a D (near the Hampton Inn). At least it was there a couple of weeks ago....

Connoisseur

Oh my, you're the opposite way I thought you were from Little Rock. Looks like your local spots would be Morrilton.

You're in a spot like me, my local good selection store is a good 45min to an hour away. Luckily I work around there and can make a swing by on the way home. They don't get any real rare stuff though, and a trip to Dallas is the best way for me to grab that kind of stuff. My county just went beer/wine wet last November, so no need to drive so much to grab a 6'er or something, but selection sucks.

I do have a store closer (30 min...) that sells the standard Jim/Jack/EW, but selection is limited to say the least.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Advanced Taster

If you can make it to Springfield MO there are some liquor stores called Brown Derby that have some nice selections of bourbon. I think the location on Glenstone is their largest store. I will probably stop by there tommorow while visiting my daughter at college. The last time I was there I was able to pick up Weller 12 which I have never seen in my neck of the woods.
    Jim

Apprentice

Thanks for the tip. Yes, Brown Derby seems like the only store name for alcohol in that town. There are a lot of stores, but strange that there would be no competition. Sounds like I'll have to make my way there soon....

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    Most of the liquor store employees couldn't tell you what they have on the shelves. They don't know a bourbon from a Canadian so calling is not going to do you much good.
    Just today learned the truth of this. I walked into a store about 1-1/2 hours north, and a helpful young man came over and asked me what I was looking for. I was already in front of the bourbon offerings, and I pointed to them and said, "I'm really only interested in the bourbon." He said, "Well, that's great 'cause we have Crown Royal on sale today." I didn't laugh...really. I did tell him that Crown Royal is canadian whiskey and NOT bourbon. I am chuckling now, though. :-)