Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Apprentice

Arkansas and vicinity....

Hi all,

As you know, I'm a newbie, and I've only been to about 3 liquor stores so far, one of these being in a town about 8 hours away. I'm in a dry county, so the closest two are about 20 miles away. My problem is, I don't know where the good stores are. Does anyone here know where the good stores are in Arkansas (or even Southern Missouri or Eastern Oklahoma)? Not trying to get in your honey hole...just wanting a good store that has more variety than this Walmart equivalent.

Thanks for any help you all could give....

george

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Re: Arkansas and vicinity....

I will tell you in general that Missouri has great prices on booze; in fact it is consider one of the most open state when it comes to laws about Alcohol - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tates_by_state

There is a free app called Liquor Run mobile for Android (and I think also for Iphone). It's good for dusty hunting. Of course, it can be a simple as Google search of "City, State Liquor"

Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I read that before...and I was thinking about looking in Springfield, MO. One thing I noticed...the entire city has only one dealer. Multiple stores, but only one dealer. That kind of worried me, as it didn't seem like a very competitive situation. Have you ever been there?

I don't have a smart phone...so maybe I can find the equivalent for PC somewhere.

I've done a search for Arkansas on the site here...and I have a couple of store names now...but it seems like almost nobody here on SB is from here. It's not a very bourbon-friendly state, for sure.

Do you have a GPS for your car? Go to points of interest and type in liquor or Package.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Apprentice

No...no GPS. And even a GPS wouldn't give me the benefit of the experience of folks here. I don't know where I might find BIBs. I guess I'll have to do some phone calling. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by gcsjr View Post
    No...no GPS. And even a GPS wouldn't give me the benefit of the experience of folks here. I don't know where I might find BIBs. I guess I'll have to do some phone calling. Thanks for the help.
    You have to do leg work people on here will help with tips but no offense intended they will not spoon feed you.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Apprentice

Yeah...I wasn't really looking to be spoon-fed. Just hoping for the benefit of some experience. And with fuel costs being what they are, driving 1-1/2 to 3 hours just to find a dry hole isn't very cost-effective. Not like driving down the block, like most folks here can do.

Connoisseur

I notice he has not posted in a while, but Stu is from NE Arkansas and may have a helpful hint or two. you may be able to contact him via a PM or email.
    Dale

"All I want to know is who's the player on second base?"

Apprentice

Thanks Dale. I did send him a PM a couple of days ago.... I did find a couple of names that Stu had mentioned a few years back to someone else here on SB. So that'll be a starting point. Problem is, there's just not very many places in this parched state, or so it seems. Anyway, thanks everyone for the help.

Connoisseur

Where are you exactly? I've driven through the roads from Little Rock to Cape Girardeau. I think Springfield had a few generally OK stores, and one place was higher end wines and such with a decent higher end bourbon selection.

Around Little Rock there are a ton of stores, then you have the dry areas until right about the border with small stores and little selection.

Is there a plymouth MO? It's all fuzzy memories now.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery