Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Connoisseur

Re: Hello from Chapel Hill

Things loosen up a lot if you can get down to SC. I moved from Durham to Columbia in 03; the private stores south of the border often have a lot more interesting finds. Up here in MI is sort of in between, much better than the NC ABC system in terms of selection, but not a lot of difference from one store to the next.

BTW - there are honorable, respectable Duke alumni lurking in these parts; be careful how you flaunt that nasty Carolina logo...
    Craig

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tarheel View Post
    One thing I am finding out guys is that the NC ABC actually can get you special items if you just ask. I have already had success with the BTAC with only a few emails. You just have to take the initiative and try.....so I shouldn't complain too much about our selections. They still have some damn good bourbon.
    BTAC can be hit or miss. Sometime I can get my hands on all I want and more. Other times it is all dried up. I had no problem getting Stagg this year. WLW was a different story. You can special order many bourbons thru the NC-ABC. The drawback is that the prices are relatively high, and you have to order a case at a time. Prepaid too...

Apprentice

I actually got 1 bottle each of the BTAC (except the ER18) through the Wake County ABC. Totally surprised that that worked. I basically emailed all the county ABCs around Orange County and got lucky.

Apprentice

SC will definitely be a trip in the future for a bourbon grab.

As for the Carolina logo, while I am an employee of the university, I most certainly don't mean to flaunt the Carolina blue. I have much love for you Blue Devils. (Especially every month other than March).

Connoisseur

Having turned up some BTAC in NC I have a newfound respect for the Carolina blue. But only for a few months...
    Craig

Apprentice

Awesome Craig. Now if only some ORVW stuff popped up. My sense is that anything ORVW is immediately snatched up by the ABC store managers. When I picked up my BTAC, I asked the assistant manager who was there, and he said that the store manager kept it for himself. Well, at least I'm on a few lists. Maybe someday! Not holding my breath.....

Connoisseur

I never had trouble finding the Van Winkles when I lived in Columbia SC. Though that was a few years ago. Having said that, I found a few bottles of the 15 when I passed through last summer.
    Craig