Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Cody Road Bourbon

Has anyone tried this ? I live close to this distillery and missed out on the first batch and was wondering peoples thoughts .

Thanks

Taster

Re: Cody Road Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkonjack View Post
    Has anyone tried this ? I live close to this distillery and missed out on the first batch and was wondering peoples thoughts .

Thanks
    I was recently given a bottle of this and decided to crack it open tonight to see how it was. Reading that it wasn't aged very long, and in smaller barrels I wasn't expecting much.

Unfortunately, I wasn't disappointed. The nose on it is a lot of grain with a small hint of astringency. The taste of it is very grainy, heavy on alcohol with a slight bitterness. Otherwise it is mostly tastless. It reminds me a lot of Georgia Moon Corn Whiskey that I was given a few years ago which is not a good thing.

I'm glad I didn't shell out the $40 or so that a bottle is going for because this to me really isn't worth any more than what you would pay for a very low end well whiskey. My plans for this bottle is to share this with some friends that think whiskey is just something you use in a mixed drink.

Hopefully the distillery is taking a serious approach to bourbon and has just put this out to make money in the short term.

Speaking with relatives in the quad cities area this stuff barely hits the store shelves before disappearing. With the short supply of their product it sounds like they have similar marketing approach to Templeton Rye around the Des Moines area.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkonjack View Post

Thanks
    Sounds like a good thing that you missed out on the first batch...if you're lucky you'll miss out on the following batches too! Spend your money on some Four Roses SB or Small Batch!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    Sounds like a good thing that you missed out on the first batch...if you're lucky you'll miss out on the following batches too! Spend your money on some Four Roses SB or Small Batch!
    I totally agree on this. I hope that these smaller distilleries start producing quality products because a little variety never hurt anything. It just has to be good variety.

I guess my money will be better spent on another bottle of Pappy's

The Voshole

Avoid it like the plague
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss