Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Advanced Taster

My $20-30 bourbon (rye whiskey too) safari

Well, I know that if I could only drink one bourbon, I'd drink PVW 20. However, that's expensive and rare. So with the advice of this site and others, I've been sampling $20-30 bourbons. In the past few months, I've tried (in no particular order) OGD BiB, Rittenhouse BiB, 4 Roses SmB, EC 12, and EWSB. I can say that they have all been good and I'd be happy to drink any of them, but here is my order of preference:

4RSmB
    EC12
    EWSB
    Rittenhouse
    OGD BiB

There is something about the 4R Small Batch that is just perfect for me. There is just the right amount of citrus, spice and smoothness. I actually prefer it to many more expensive bourbons like 4RSB (or even Willett's 3 yr old rye).

Now, of course, this doesn't mean I would be opposed to seeing if there is something better (like AA10)

Women without whiskey...
    Women without whiskey...
    Whiskey's hard to beat.
    - Drive By Truckers

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by JLH3 View Post
    Well, I know that if I could only drink one bourbon, I'd drink PVW 20. However, that's expensive and rare. So with the advice of this site and others, I've been sampling $20-30 bourbons. In the past few months, I've tried (in no particular order) OGD BiB, Rittenhouse BiB, 4 Roses SmB, EC 12, and EWSB. I can say that they have all been good and I'd be happy to drink any of them, but here is my order of preference:

4RSmB
    EC12
    EWSB
    Rittenhouse
    OGD BiB

There is something about the 4R Small Batch that is just perfect for me. There is just the right amount of citrus, spice and smoothness. I actually prefer it to many more expensive bourbons like 4RSB (or even Willett's 3 yr old rye).

Now, of course, this doesn't mean I would be opposed to seeing if there is something better (like AA10)

Give the OGD 114 a try.

Connoisseur

Re: My $20-30 bourbon (rye whiskey too) safari

In addition to the OGD 114 recommendation, I would suggest you give Elmer T Lee, Eagle Rare 10 Yr, OWA, and Old Ezra 7 Yr 101 a try. These are all regulars in my house in the $20-$30 range, and compare favorably to pricier bourbons imho.

Agree with you on the 4RSmB, and I can also get the 4RSB for around $30, both of which are excellent. I have an unopened bottle of OF Signature 100 purchased at $20 which I am interested to try out, just resisting opening yet another bottle.

Disciple
    I'd definitely recommend OWA and Weller 12 in this price range, especially for someone who likes VW.
    Jim

I know it's super boring but honestly, for $22-26/bottle....nothing in the bourbon world beats Buffalo Trace IMHO...it's the benchmark for quality, I feel. If you didn't dig on Rittenhouse, rye may not be your thing, that's a widely recognized amazing rye, especially for the $. I can't even count how many bottles I go through in a year, especially since I introduced it to all of my friends. Was it too spicy? Too dry? If it's not your style, Baby Saz for $28-30 is super wonderful as well and is much sweeter and a bit more floral and light.

Enjoy the safari, that's the best part of the hobby, trying new things and finding your flavor!

Advanced Taster

Thanks for the recommendations. I failed to add the OWA. I just bought a bottle of that recently. I'd put that right around the EWSB in a tie for 3rd. I'd love to try the ETL, but, like the AAA10, I haven't been able to find it in Phoenix.
    Women without whiskey...
    Women without whiskey...
    Whiskey's hard to beat.
    - Drive By Truckers

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by humchan2k View Post
    I know it's super boring but honestly, for $22-26/bottle....nothing in the bourbon world beats Buffalo Trace IMHO...it's the benchmark for quality, I feel.
    I want to second the opinion on Buffalo Trace and also put in a recommendation for Maker's Mark at that price point as well. If I could never find or afford another bottle of PVW or BTAC I would be disappointed, but I would get by with BT and MM. And you don't even feel bad about mixing them when you are in the mood for a cocktail.
    -SOB-

Disciple
    Distribution of AAA 10 year outside of Kentucky is extremely limited. Best bet if you really want that one is mail order. ETL is easier to come by, although I can't speak for the Phoenix area.
    Jim

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    Distribution of AAA 10 year outside of Kentucky is extremely limited. Best bet if you really want that one is mail order. ETL is easier to come by, although I can't speak for the Phoenix area.
    Must be a regional thing. Knee deep in AAA 10yo here.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Must be a regional thing. Knee deep in AAA 10yo here.
    The AAA a few miles east is 10 Star not 10yo.
    Tom Sangster
    Winterville, GA