Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: My $20-30 bourbon (rye whiskey too) safari

A lot of folks have given you their recommendations. Pretty much anything I could suggest has already been named. I would however like to suggest to you to dig a little deeper and do some more searching here on the site. Go back in the history of some threads and take a look. There's plenty of information about just what you're looking for.

FWIW, I agree with Jim. (HighInTheMtns) Weller 12 and OWA would be at the top of my list. I love them wheaters.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tsangster View Post
    The AAA a few miles east is 10 Star not 10yo.
    Some one else pointed out the same thing. No doubt that is correct. I have never bought any and just noticed it in passing when in the store yesterday. I will check next time I am in the store but I am sure it will prove to be the 10 Star.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Some one else pointed out the same thing. No doubt that is correct. I have never bought any and just noticed it in passing when in the store yesterday. I will check next time I am in the store but I am sure it will prove to be the 10 Star.
    You're certainly not the only person to ever make that mistake, and I doubt that Buffalo Trace would be unhappy had you bought one before it was cleared up.
    Jim

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    You're certainly not the only person to ever make that mistake, and I doubt that Buffalo Trace would be unhappy had you bought one before it was cleared up.
    Yes, I have no doubt that is the very intent behind the name. Seems a bit of dubious advertising at best and downright deceitful at worst, particularly given the nearly identical packaging. A solid blackmark in the book for BT in this case.

Not that they would care a whit what I think!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Disciple
    Don't be too hard on BT, they're far from the only distiller to pull that trick.
    Jim

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    Don't be too hard on BT, they're far from the only distiller to pull that trick.

Just being a a wee bit tongue in cheek. They didn't have a blackmark yet so they needed one! Don't think it is likely to change my buying habits much though.

Enthusiast

Larceny! and WT101, its actually under 20, but its good... actually isn't ogdbib under 20?
    Last edited by Lazer; 11-06-2012 at 11:28. Reason: spelling

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
    WT101, its actually under 20, but its good... actually isn't ogdbib under 20?
    Neither of those are under $20 for me. :-(

On the other end of this, at slightly above $30, Wild Turkey Rare Breed is definitely worth a shot and fits in well with the sort of mid-shelf high QPR pours that the OP is after.
    Jim

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Must be a regional thing. Knee deep in AAA 10yo here.
    Where are you seeing the 10 yr AAA in GA? I've only ever seen 10 star here in Atlanta. I travel a lot to OH and make sure to bring back a few bottles every time I pass through KY.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by petrel800 View Post
    Where are you seeing the 10 yr AAA in GA? I've only ever seen 10 star here in Atlanta. I travel a lot to OH and make sure to bring back a few bottles every time I pass through KY.
    See post #12 above.