Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 11/12: Kirkland Small Batch Bourbon

And now for something completely different......

This month's BOTM has been suggested to me a couple of times now, so I thought why not. I know there has been some talk of it here in a couple of different threads. From what I can gather, it's a Beam product made for Costco. Anyway, let's here your thoughts about Kirkland Small Batch Bourbon.

I haven't tried this one yet, so no comment from me this month. Bet y'all are glad about that.

Cheers! Joe
    Last edited by fishnbowljoe; 11-05-2012 at 23:25.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

Re: BOTM 11/12: Kirklnd Small Batch Bourbon

Wish I had a Costco near me so I could give this one a try!

Guru

Not carried in MI. Oh well! For what it is worth, I haven't participated in past months selections when I could have. So please don't take this as a complaint.

Will

Sounds like this will be a great opportunity to open the bottle that has been haunting my bar for a year

Joe, I think that's enough bourbon for today. You've misspelled Kirkland two different ways in your post .

Opened the bottle(batch B-5183 if the # means anything), tasted it neat in a glen cairn. The nose has alot of alcohol and a surprising amount of wood for being a 7 year bourbon. On the palate it has a bit less heat than I expected from 103 proof has alot of wood flavor and a bit of sweet corn, the mouth feel is very thin and slightly oily with a very short finish. All in all it is not terrible, my wife thought more of it than I did. My intent in buying it was for a mixer which is what it will be used for.

Advanced Taster

I better jump in here since I'm one of those who has been urging Joe to select Kirkland as BOTM.

First I'd like to point out that, at least in Illinois, one need not be a member of Costco to purchase liquor there. Tell the door-person you're just buying booze and you'll be let in. At the register be ready to pay in cash, and maybe wait for a supervisor approval (Costco only takes its own AmEx credit cards).

Kirkland Small Batch Bourbon is 103-proof and 7-y-o and sells for $20 a liter. A Costco clerk told me it was made by Woodford, and the bottle is a hybrid of WR and KC and clearly aimed at buyers of those brands. But the closed SB thread "Costco Bourbon?" details the tracking down of the Kirkland brand's COLA registry that shows it is a Beam product. (I found this very interesting as I hadn't yet learned about the COLA registry.)

There are also quite a few tasting notes on that long "Costco Bourbon?" thread, many of which I agree with. I found my bottle of Kirkland to be quite good. Color a little lighter than KC, perhaps a bit more brown/less gold--at least in Costco light. Nose was agreeable, but mild--maybe subtle is a better word choice. Good legs and a full mouth. I'm partial to wheaters, but this had a nice, spicy rye flavor--with a bit of a bite--that I enjoyed. Finish was pleasant and lingered. It's not as complex or sophisticated as a Beam small batch bourbon, but I think it's quite a bit better than the JBW and JBB of my most recent memories. If other batches match what's in my bottle, I'd say it's an excellent value at $20 a liter.

If you want to stock up, Costco also has good prices on the other bourbons it carries. if memory serves, that's usually Kirkland Small Batch, Jim Beam White, Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, Maker's Mark (& 46), and Buffalo Trace.
    Last edited by Chuckles; 11-06-2012 at 09:05.

Do you happen to know your batch# as my bottle had very little spicy rye?

Connoisseur

All batch numbers are the same, as far as I've seen. I thought this juice was pretty good, but doesn't rise above the shackles of it's Beam origin. I'll reach for WT101@$18/750 over this every time.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    First I'd like to point out that, at least in Illinois, one need not be a member of Costco to purchase liquor there. Tell the door-person you're just buying booze and you'll be let in. At the register be ready to pay in cash, and maybe wait for a supervisor approval (Costco only takes its own AmEx credit cards).
    I am a Costco member but it is good to know, at least in Illinois, you don't have to be. Nice notes on this bourbon too Charlie...good enough for me to continue to pass on it .
    Thad

BTOTY-2011