Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: BOTM 11/12: Kirklnd Small Batch Bourbon

In Michigan you don't have to be a Costco member to buy beer, wine, and spirits at Costco.
    Amy

Virtuoso

Ohio folks, can you tell me if it is available there? If so I will run down and pick some up so I can try it for this month.

Best regards, Tony

Connoisseur

I have heard this topic come up before. Apparently in some states, stores like Sam's and Costco must allow non-members the ability to purchase alcohol. My understanding goes something like this. In those states there is a law that says a person can not be asked to pay extra or join a club in order to purchase alcohol. The state reserves the sole right to regulate alcohol sales. My question is, does anyone know which states do, or don't have this law? It has been stated before that many store employees are unaware. Does anyone have a list, or know where to find out?

Connoisseur

Sorry, Tony. Alcohol sales in OH are highly regulated. Costco sells wine and beer but no "hard liquor" in the Buckeye State. I have, however, purchased Kirkland in FL, AZ, and SC.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    Sorry, Tony. Alcohol sales in OH are highly regulated. Costco sells wine and beer but no "hard liquor" in the Buckeye State. I have, however, purchased Kirkland in FL, AZ, and SC.
    Thanks, appreciate the information. Looks like I will have to wait until I get to do some traveling to try this.

Best regards, Tony

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    I have heard this topic come up before. Apparently in some states, stores like Sam's and Costco must allow non-members the ability to purchase alcohol. My understanding goes something like this. In those states there is a law that says a person can not be asked to pay extra or join a club in order to purchase alcohol. The state reserves the sole right to regulate alcohol sales. My question is, does anyone know which states do, or don't have this law? It has been stated before that many store employees are unaware. Does anyone have a list, or know where to find out?
    Pretty sure both Kentucky and Indiana allow anyone of legal age to purchase alcoholic beverages without joining or paying extra. I've done so at Sam's Club on both sides of the river. Easier in Kentucky because the alcohol sales are separated from the rest of the store. Although that separation requirement was tossed out by the Kentucky court of appeals just a month or so ago. I'm sure Costco has to follow the same rules.

Joel

Connoisseur

With a little help from my wife, did a semi-blind tasting in Glencairns of Kirkland with bigger brothers KC and Baker's. "Semi-blind" because I knew what the three bourbons were but not what was in each glass. After a few minutes, that was fairly easy to figure out. The Kirkland hit me right off with a lot of sweetness and honey, some cloves, and licorice. Very pleasant but noticeably less complex than the others. The KC had more maple, a sweet burnt sugar I associate with creme brulee, some caramel, a little citrus, and licorice. The Baker's came through with a chocolate caramel like a high quality truffle, vanilla, cloves, allspice, and cinnamon. It had the creamiest mouthfeel of the three. The family resemblance was quite clear.
    Using a clothing metaphor, Kirkland reminds me of my comfortable, working-in-the-garden clothes that always seem to feel best just before they completely fall apart. At $20 liter, the equivalent of $15/750, I'll have no trouble buying more Kirkland next time I'm in a state that allows Costco to sell it. The KC is how I would dress for a casual dinner with friends. The Baker's is for a nice restaurant. Booker's, of course, would be what to wear when going someplace really special.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    With a little help from my wife, did a semi-blind tasting in Glencairns of Kirkland with bigger brothers KC and Baker's. "Semi-blind" because I knew what the three bourbons were but not what was in each glass. After a few minutes, that was fairly easy to figure out. The Kirkland hit me right off with a lot of sweetness and honey, some cloves, and licorice. Very pleasant but noticeably less complex than the others. The KC had more maple, a sweet burnt sugar I associate with creme brulee, some caramel, a little citrus, and licorice. The Baker's came through with a chocolate caramel like a high quality truffle, vanilla, cloves, allspice, and cinnamon. It had the creamiest mouthfeel of the three. The family resemblance was quite clear.
    Using a clothing metaphor, Kirkland reminds me of my comfortable, working-in-the-garden clothes that always seem to feel best just before they completely fall apart. At $20 liter, the equivalent of $15/750, I'll have no trouble buying more Kirkland next time I'm in a state that allows Costco to sell it. The KC is how I would dress for a casual dinner with friends. The Baker's is for a nice restaurant. Booker's, of course, would be what to wear when going someplace really special.
    Excellent and informative post Flyfish and great work you put into it. Semi-blind is the next best thing to blind and do it myself regularly. I'm still not interested in the Kirkland but enjoy reading intelligent analysis on it...and you even got my taste up for a Beam and just poured a KC Reserve from the best one I've had so far... Binny's Barrel 153.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by michaelturtle1 View Post
    Do you happen to know your batch# as my bottle had very little spicy rye?
    Sorry, bottle is gone.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    I have heard this topic come up before. Apparently in some states, stores like Sam's and Costco must allow non-members the ability to purchase alcohol. ... It has been stated before that many store employees are unaware. ...
    Even though I am a Costco member, I tried a liquor purchase as if I weren't. I told the doorman I was buying booze, and he waved me right in. I tried to put the purchase on my MasterCard, and the clerk said Costco Card only. So I tried cash instead--he called a supervisor over, got an okay, and I paid and departed with my booze, no hassle.

I also understand that--again, I only speak for Illinois--that you do not need to be a member to have a prescription filled at Costco at its discount rates. Also, you don't need to be a member to have photos processed.

I'm not an employee or stockholder or anything of Costco--I just like the one in my 'hood (Glenview, IL) and feel I've gotten good deals on some decent quality items there. I did not feel this way about Sam's Club when I was a member there.