Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: BOTM 11/12: Kirklnd Small Batch Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    I have heard this topic come up before. Apparently in some states, stores like Sam's and Costco must allow non-members the ability to purchase alcohol. My understanding goes something like this. In those states there is a law that says a person can not be asked to pay extra or join a club in order to purchase alcohol. The state reserves the sole right to regulate alcohol sales. My question is, does anyone know which states do, or don't have this law? It has been stated before that many store employees are unaware. Does anyone have a list, or know where to find out?
    You can but alcohol and prescriptions at Costco in CA without being a member.

Taster

Re: BOTM 11/12: Kirkland Small Batch Bourbon

This Bourbon is a Beam product. Looks like it was on its way to being Knob Creek, but was pulled early at 7 years instead of 9. The proof is decent and in the barrel longer than KC. A good value at 20 dollars for a liter. Do a side by side with KC and let me know what you think. Its the same recipe.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonBalls View Post
    This Bourbon is a Beam product. Looks like it was on its way to being Knob Creek, but was pulled early at 7 years instead of 9. The proof is decent and in the barrel longer than KC. A good value at 20 dollars for a liter. Do a side by side with KC and let me know what you think. Its the same recipe.
    How about this?
    With a little help from my wife, did a semi-blind tasting in Glencairns of Kirkland with bigger brothers KC and Baker's. "Semi-blind" because I knew what the three bourbons were but not what was in each glass. After a few minutes, that was fairly easy to figure out. The Kirkland hit me right off with a lot of sweetness and honey, some cloves, and licorice. Very pleasant but noticeably less complex than the others. The KC had more maple, a sweet burnt sugar I associate with creme brulee, some caramel, a little citrus, and licorice. The Baker's came through with a chocolate caramel like a high quality truffle, vanilla, cloves, allspice, and cinnamon. It had the creamiest mouthfeel of the three. The family resemblance was quite clear.
    Using a clothing metaphor, Kirkland reminds me of my comfortable, working-in-the-garden clothes that always seem to feel best just before they completely fall apart. At $20 liter, the equivalent of $15/750, I'll have no trouble buying more Kirkland next time I'm in a state that allows Costco to sell it. The KC is how I would dress for a casual dinner with friends. The Baker's is for a nice restaurant. Booker's, of course, would be what to wear when going someplace really special.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Disciple

I actually had the bottle in my hand yesterday, but the town of "Clermont" on the label kept me from taking it to the check-out.

Apprentice

You don't need to be a memeber in TX. I don't remember seeing it on the shelf today but I wasn't looking for it.

Connoisseur

Just a heads-up for any fellow AZ members/lurkers --- I called the local Costco and you do NOT need to be a member to buy alcohol here in AZ.

I haven't tried the Kirkland bourbon yet... been meaning to though.

Advanced Taster

Not available in Costco over here sadly.
    The water was not fit to drink. To make it palatable, we had to add whiskey. By diligent effort, I learned to like it.
    -- Winston Churchill

Connoisseur

I've seen it in a couple of liquor stores in SC. Not just Costco. SC has a law that says a single chain cannot have exclusive rights to a specific liquor so it is available to any store here in SC but not many carry it.

Taster

I tried this in Vegas last year. I believe it was 25 dollars a liter and here in WA though they want 35 bucks a liter and there are much better available at that price. IMHO

Apprentice

I've seen it at the Costcos around me. I have a bottle of the Kirkland Vodka and it's pretty good. I want to try their bourbon. My wife's dad is a JB fan, and if they are making it for Costco, he'll probably drink it. I'll get him a bottle for Christmas probably and try some from his stash. If I like it, I'll get a bottle for myself later on.