Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Pike Creek

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Pike Creek

Back from its last appearance in the 90's, this was part of a trio released by Corby in Canada. Lot No. 40 and Gooderham & Worts were the other two. Lot No. 40 has just re-appeared as well, thus two out of the three releases are being given a come-back.

As with Lot 40, Pike Creek, a 10 year old whisky, is (IMO) a better whisky than the first time around. It tastes like a regular well-aged Canadian but the port finishing is very well executed resulting in a fruity and softly smooth palate. Fruit, wood, ethanol and light whisky spice all combine to a pleasing taste, on the light side but very well executed again.

It needs neat drinking to really appreciate it, ditto Proof reviewed earlier.

Gary

Enthusiast

Re: Pike Creek

IMO, Lot no 40 is by far the better of the two. Pike Creek, like most other Canadian whiskies, is under-powered, thin, and mild flavored. Both are priced at $40 here in Canada. I think the Lot 40 is worth the $40, the PC is not better than other $30-32 options already on the market. As a result, it will probably suffer the same fate as the 90's version.

(I've stocked up on the Lot 40 in case it too disappears.)

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Pike Creek

In terms of pricing I agree. But I like the Pike Creek too, it's a very nice palate and much better I thought than that Forty Creek that was aged or finished in port barrels, more stylish.

Gary