Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blasphemy ...? I am disappointed with my 2011 Van Winkle 12-year-old "Lot B"

I was so sure I would like it that (what a newbie ...) I latched onto _three_ before I was done, a year ago.

Two are as yet unopened, because as I have been trying and re-trying the first bottle, it has (for me) a tarry undertaste that I dislike. The passage of a few months has not improved it (the bottle is now about 15% used.)

Enthusiast
    Hey if you don't like it you don't like it. Find a friendly shop and trade the others for something you like.

Guru

Re: Blasphemy ...? I am disappointed with my 2011 Van Winkle 12-year-old "Lot B"

Quote Originally Posted by Near_Teetotaler View Post
    I was so sure I would like it that (what a newbie ...) I latched onto _three_ before I was done, a year ago.

Two are as yet unopened, because as I have been trying and re-trying the first bottle, it has (for me) a tarry undertaste that I dislike. The passage of a few months has not improved it (the bottle is now about 15% used.)
    It's like castor oil, man. Hold your nose and guzzle it. Works for me!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Re: Blasphemy ...? I am disappointed with my 2011 Van Winkle 12-year-old "Lot B"

>>
    trade the others for something you like.
    <<

! Huh ! It never even remotely occurred to me that they might consider that, at an ABC store in my state ... but I'll look into it. Thanks for the idea!

>>
    Hold your nose and guzzle it
    <<

?? But ... but ... I _love_ castor oil.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I bought one in Canada I actually thought was bad, it had a barnyard taste, I think from the cork (bad cork) which seemed unusually blue-veined. I had tastes of others bought here and they were superb, brandy-like and elegant. I think in 20 years of buying VW bourbon, that was the first time it happened, which is a pretty good record because I've bought a lot, not so much now due to the pricing, but in the past.

Had I lived in the States, I might have sent mine to the Van Winkles for their opinion, but it wasn't practical living in Canada, so I used it in blending and got some value that way.

These things do happen (with almost any brand especially where closed with a cork), but I can't say for your bottle, it's possible you just don't like the profile.

Gary

Connoisseur

Pour that Lot B into some empty Weller 12 bottles with the price tag showing and it may start to taste better.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Parkersback View Post
    Pour that Lot B into some empty Weller 12 bottles with the price tag showing and it may start to taste better.
    As usual, you make an excellent point. I always preferred Weller 12 myself, but it's hard to find outside of Kentucky.

I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding a way to get rid of those Lot Bs (or is that Lots B?)
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I bought one in Canada I actually thought was bad, it had a barnyard taste, I think from the cork (bad cork) which seemed unusually blue-veined. I had tastes of others bought here and they were superb, brandy-like and elegant. I think in 20 years of buying VW bourbon, that was the first time it happened, which is a pretty good record because I've bought a lot, not so much now due to the pricing, but in the past.

Had I lived in the States, I might have sent mine to the Van Winkles for their opinion, but it wasn't practical living in Canada, so I used it in blending and got some value that way.

These things do happen (with almost any brand especially where closed with a cork), but I can't say for your bottle, it's possible you just don't like the profile.

Gary
    Gary, maybe you got one of those bottles of Lot B with the Roquefort corks...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Joe, exactly. Sounds like there were others...?

Gary