Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Angel's Envy Rye

It seems Angels' Envy is jumping into the rye game with a Caribbean rum finished version. The 6-year-old, 95% rye and 5% malted barley mash bill, is a dead giveaway that this is another sourced rye from MGP (formerly LDI). While the thought of a rum finished rye intrigues me, the price of $80 seems steep for a relatively young 100 proofer.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 03-02-2013 at 14:59.

Guru

Re: Angel's Envy Rye

For that price I can get a bottle of 12 year old El Dorado rum and a bottle of Dickel Rye. Believe I'll pass on the AE.

Guru

For that amount of money I can get a bottle of 15 year old El Dorado rum and two bottles of Dickel Rye, believe I'll pass on the Angel's Envy.

Disciple

I would be very curious to try this as well,I can't see the minty/dill of the rye melding very well with the brown sugars and cinnamon of the rum.I guess at 6 years and 100 proof for $80 I need not worry either as it will be a try and not a buy for sure from my standpoint.I guess we have seen stranger culminations in the past and will have to wait and see.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Guru

EIGHTY DOLLARS?! Ah hell nah.

Would love to try it but they really, really need to get their pricing in check. Jeebus.

Connoisseur

TPS sells the smooth ambler rye, a LDI 7yr old at 99 proof for $37.99..so this is 42 bucks more for barrel finishing?? There's a sucker born every minute, and I'm sure they're counting on it
    I may be drunk, but in the morning, I'll be sober and you'll still be ugly...WC

Enthusiast

I always find it strange when people have no shame about what they'll charge for something of an obviously lower value. I would like to see their response to this simple question, "really?"

Angel's Envy Rye

I for one will buy at least one bottle to try it, as for price? It is worth what someone is willing to pay for it and I don't see $80.00 too outrageous maybe overpriced by $20.00 but a barrel finished rye is not a common product.

Guru

I believe their brand might find more customers if they would come out with some small 'try' bottles.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by michaelturtle1 View Post
    as for price? It is worth what someone is willing to pay for it
    Ideally yes, if you have educated consumers. There are far too many people in this boom preying on those who don't know much about whiskey. They walk into a store with X dollars expecting the bottle that costs X to be worth X, and in this case it clearly isn't. We know what's in it, and what the market value of those components is based on all the other brands that use them. A finish does not increase the value by triple. It's like flippers who buy a house, throw some paint on the inside and think they can ask $100k more for it (guess who is a frustrated house shopper). Bourbon flipping at these margins is predatory and unethical imo.