Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Jefferson's Presidential Rye Select 21

Quote Originally Posted by Wryguy View Post
    I had an interesting conversation on the phone today with Eric at the Jug Shop in San Francisco. We got to talking about things in the pipeline and the JPS21 came up. He told me that he had just spoken to Trey Zoeller and got word that this will be a bourbon and not a rye and that the source was NOT S-W juice. Eric speculated that the little S-W not already used in the JPS18 would be used in a future limited, ultra-premium bottling. I've heard HH has similar plans for the barrels of S-W they are sitting on. All of this being rumor and hearsay, but interesting fodder for forums like these. Where could the bourbon for a JPS21 come from? And how much will they charge, knowing it lacks the cachet of S-W?

The bottle mock up sure looked like it was going to be a rye!

I have done my bit for Jefferson's by getting a bottle of the Ocean. Unless I know more about what it is rather than what it isn't I don't plan to buy this JPS21 until I at least have a chance to try it first. And if that chance doesn't materialize then I guess I won't be buying.

I must say the "ultra-premium" bottlings of supposed S-W juice, whether it be Jefferson's or HH, sounds a bit tiresome already and it isn't even available yet!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I must say the "ultra-premium" bottlings of supposed S-W juice, whether it be Jefferson's or HH, sounds a bit tiresome already and it isn't even available yet!
    Couldn't agree more. Makes me want to snatch up a couple more JPS18. I know of a store that has a couple on sale for 69.99.

As far as the bottle mock-up that confused me, mostly because of my ignorance. Was there a separate COLA entry for a JPS21 bourbon? Would a change from rye to bourbon necessitate a new COLA entry? Time to do some research...

Connoisseur

There is a TTB COLA entry for a straight bourbon:

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonlin...12320001000005

Guru

Well, I expect they will charge as much as they think they can get, but I won't be tempted at any price.

Enthusiast

Product Source is marked as Domestic (opposed to Imported)

Will this rule out Canada

There is also Proximo listed with their Lawrenceburg, Indiana adress

So Maybe it's LDI (the only 21yo rye from there I know of was matured in used barrels though)

Steffen

Connoisseur

I really hope the 21 rye is coming to market. If it is indeed a domestic source, I am very curious to know who still has 21yo rye laying around.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    I really hope the 21 rye is coming to market. If it is indeed a domestic source, I am very curious to know who still has 21yo rye laying around.

I'll certainly be in line next to you when this comes out.

But my gut says that it probably cannot be US distilled rye. The last of the ultra aged ryes all came to market within the same small time period, and aside from the tanked VWFRR and Saz 18, there just isn't anything in the market that would even come close. Even the HW 16 and 21 year ryes where anomaly's in their own right-and delicious ones at that.

Canada always seems to be the usual suspect of recent with any aged rye product coming to market.

Seriously---1)who who have have something like this on hand domestically? 2)With the market being smoking hot for products like these-why sell them to somebody else to put out. As long as the juice is decent, anybody would be nuts to offload these, even though the yield would likely be small, make it a niche product, and even priced at the high end of the market, it will sell.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Connoisseur

Any updates on this? If it is still coming, it very well may be the release of the year.

Guru

Have heard the first rumors of this hitting town so if it is here it must be out elsewhere. But it looks like this is a 21 yo bourbon, not a rye, is in the $130 range and still mystery whiskey.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Have heard the first rumors of this hitting town so if it is here it must be out elsewhere. But it looks like this is a 21 yo bourbon, not a rye, is in the $130 range and still mystery whiskey.
    There's one of each coming out: a bourbon and a rye.