Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cider!!!!

Advanced Taster

Re: Cider!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    When I lived in England I had several friends who drank nothing but cider and these boys could drink. I went toe-to-toe with them one evening, foregoing my usual drink of choice (ale) for Woodpecker cider and when my hangover subsided nearly two days later I realized why the brand isso aptly named. I can attest to the fact that a very large woodpecker was trapped inside my head and was desperately fighting to peck his way out. There was absolutely no getting around the colossal headache I got from drinking all that cider and I'm guessing it is the high volume of sugar that had something to do with it. My English wife, however, assures me that I'm simply a pussy and that nothing is more glorious than a tall pint of Woodpecker, Bulmers or Strongbow cider on a warm day. To each his own, I guess.
    This is a great story haha. Thanks for sharing
    "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy."
    -Frank Sinatra

Connoisseur

Strongbow cider... in 2-liter (used to be 3-liter) bottles at the supermarket for around $5.

*sigh* they sure do some things right over in the UK...
    Last edited by Kalessin; 11-15-2012 at 10:30.

Trippah and Admin

This thread inspired me to pick up some Strongbow after work and it is darn good.

I've avoided ciders in the past since they were overly sweet, but this is superbly dry.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Advanced Taster

I like dryer cider, and find the ciders from Etienne (they also brew Dupont Saison I think) to have that nice crisp apple flavor without the residual sugar and a nice level of funky, barnyard action going on. It tastes less like apple juice and more like Lambic, which IMO is a great thing. Too bad they are so expensive though.

Of the sweeter ciders, JK is definitely my pick if you can find it. I have friends who really like Doc's Cassis Cider, but that also just tastes like a wine cooler to me.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by soonami View Post
    I like dryer cider, and find the ciders from Etienne (they also brew Dupont Saison I think) to have that nice crisp apple flavor without the residual sugar and a nice level of funky, barnyard action going on. It tastes less like apple juice and more like Lambic, which IMO is a great thing. Too bad they are so expensive though.

Of the sweeter ciders, JK is definitely my pick if you can find it. I have friends who really like Doc's Cassis Cider, but that also just tastes like a wine cooler to me.
    For those who do occasionally like apple on the sweeter side but want to avoid that wine cooler caché you might find Pommeau de Normandie interesting as an alternative to sweet cider. Makes a great dessert beverage with an apple flair. Basically apple juice mixed with young apple brandy that is then allowed to barrel age together for a period of time. It is Pineau des Charentes' country cousin fresh from the apple orchard.

Definitely sweet but also definitely delightful!

That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum